1Dr. MBM. Amjath,2M.A.A. Shahani
1Senior Lecturer Department of Accountancy & Finance, South Eastern University of Sri Lanka, Oluvil
2Department of Accountancy & Finance, South Eastern University of Sri Lanka, Oluvilhttps://doi.org/10.47191/jefms/v4-i12-06
Purpose: The purpose of the article is to find out the application of corporate governance practices in companies listed CSE in Sri Lanka.
Methodology: The study aimed at the factors influence in the application of corporate governance practices and firm’s financial performance in Sri Lanka. In this study, there are two dependent variables namely return on equity and return on asset and four independent variables namely board leadership, board structure, board size and number of board committees. The study used 20 top companies (blue-chip companies) as sample for period of five (5) years 2014-2018. The data was analyzed using the SPSS statistical software package. The descriptive statistics, correlation analysis and regression analysis were used in this study.
Findings: The results show that there is a positive relationship between corporate governance practices and firm performance, in the Sri Lankan context. And also it was found that there is a positive effect of board leadership board structure, board size and board committees on ROE and ROA the effect of board leadership, board size and board committees are significant with ROE & ROA. Only board structure has an insignificant effect on ROE and ROA.
Implication of the research: It is concluded that there is a positive effect of corporate governance practices on firm’s financial performance of listed companies in CSE. On the other hand, some corporate governance practices has significant effect on firm’s financial performance and some other corporate governance practices have insignificant effect on firm’s financial performance.
ROE, ROA, board size, and board structure
1) Adikari, B., .Jayasinghe, P., Erandathi, U., Rasadini, E., & Balasooriya, G. (n.d.). THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CORPORATE GOVERNANCE AND . 29.
2) Andradi, D., Jayasinghe, W., Gunathilaka, M., Anosha, G., Ayesha, G., & Herath, M. (n.d.). THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CORPORATE GOVERNANCE BEST .
3) Anandasayanan, S., & Velnampy, T. (2018). Corporate Governance and Corporate Profitability of. International Journal of Accounting and Financial Reporting, 8(1), 11.
4) Azeez, D. A. (2015). Corporate Governance and Firm Performance: Evidence from Sri Lanka. Journal of Finance and Bank Management, 3(1), 10.
5) Balagobei, S., & Velnampy, T. (2018). Corporate governance and Financing Decisions: . International Conference on Business Management, 14.
6) Cooray, T., Gunarathne, A. N., & Senaratne, S. (2020). Does Corporate Governance Affect the Quality of. Sustainability, 12, 30.
7) Danoshana, M. S., & Ravivathani, M. T. (2013). The impact of the corporate governance on firm. Merit Research Journal of Accounting, Auditing, Economics and Finance, 1(6), 4.
8) Ekanayakea, G. Y., i Senaratne, S., & Azeez, A. A. (2019). The Effect of Owner-Based and Lender-Based Governance. Colombo, 10(2), 31.
9) Guo, Z., & KGA, U. K. (2012). Corporate Governance and Firm Performance of Listed. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 40, 4.
10) Heenetigala, K. (April 2011). Corporate Governance Practices and . Victoria Graduate School, 226.
11) Hillman Thomas Dalziel (2003) Boards of Directors and Firm Performance: Integrating Agency And Resource Dependence Perspectives, Academy of Managemenf Review 2003, Vol. 28. No- 3, 383-396.
12) Jayendrika, W., Priyadarshanie, W., & Samarakoon, S. (2020). THE IMPACT OF CORPORATE GOVERNANCE ON FIRMS’ FINANCIAL. journal of accountancy and finanace, 1(2), 12.
13) Kajananthan, R. (2012). Corporate Governance Practices and Its Impact on firm. Global Journal of Management and Business Research, 12(21), 8.
14) Kalainathan, K., & Vijayarani. (2014). Corporate Governance Practices, Issues and Challenges in Sri Lanka. 9.
15) Kengatharan, L., & Sivakaran, T. (31 August 2019). IMPACT OF CORPORATE GOVERNANCE. Asia-Pacific Management Accounting Journal, 14(2), 24.
16) Kimosop, 2011, the Moderating effect of demographic characteristic on the relationship between strategic capabilities and firm performance in women owned entrepreneurial venture in Nairobi, Kenya Canadian journal of administrative science 33, 242-256
17) Manawaduge, A., & Zoysa, A. D. (2013). THE STRUCTURE OF CORPORATE OWNERSHIP AND FIRM. Corporate Ownership & Control, 11(1), 12.
18) Meckling, 1976 Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure, Journal of Financial Economic(ELSEVIER)3(4) 305-360.
19) Mudalige, N., & Ekanayake, A. (2015). The Influence of Corporate Governance on Capital Structure Decisions of listed Companies in Sri Lanka. Modern Sri Lanka Studies, 6(1), 19.
20) Mwanzia,( 2010)Corporate Governance Practices in Developing Countries: The Case for Kenya, International Journal of Business Administration (DOI: https://doi.org/10.5430/ijba.v2n1p14)
21) Nadeesha, D. D. (2019). An Empirical Study on Corporate Governance Structure. International Journal Of Scientific And Research Publication, 9(6), 10.
22) Okougbo, 2011 Corporate governance, companies attributes and voluntary disclosures: A study of Nigerian listed companies VOLUME NO. 1(2011),ISSUE NO.2(APRIL)ISSN2231-1009
23) Panditharathna, K. (2019). Corporate Governance And Voluntary Disclosure. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 9(12), 11.
24) Prasantha, A., Jayasekara, K., Sewwandi, P., Kumari, A., Madushika, M., Sandaruwan, H., . . . Malsha, S. (2016). THE EFFECT OF CORPORATE GOVERNANCE CHARACTERISTICS ON . 29.
25) Priyanka Singh a, Brajesh Kumar a, Ajay Pandey b,(2010)
26) Price and volatility spillovers across North American, European and Asian stock markets International Review of Financial Analysis ELSEVIER 55-64
27) Puwanenthiren, P. (2018). IS CORPORATE GOVERNANCE AND INTELLECTUAL CAPITAL DISCLOSURE RELATED? A SRI LANKAN CASE. Journal of Business Studies,, 5(2), 15.
28) Puyvelde, 2013,Agency Problems between Managers and Employees in Nonprofit Organizations: A Discrete Choice Experiment, Wiley online library 24(1)
29) Senaratne, S. and Gunaratne, P.S.M. (2008) Corporate Governance Development in Sri Lanka: Prospects and Problems. International Research Conference on Management and Finance, University of Colombo, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2008, 79-89. http://archive.cmb.ac.lk:8080/research/handle/70130/1620
30) Siromi, B., & Chandrapala, P. (June 2017). The Effect of Corporate Governance. ournal of Competitiveness, 9(2), 15.
31) Sameera, T. (2020). Corporate Governance Practices and Their Impacts on Corporate Risk:. Kelaniya Journal of Management, 9(2), 19.
32) Thavarasasingam, H., Ravindran, M., & Anandasayanan, S. (2018). Impact of Corporate Governance on Performance of Listed Land and Property . h International Conference on Business Management, 16.
33) Torea, N. G., Feijoo, B. F., & Cuesta, M. d. (2016). Board of director’s effectiveness and the stakeholder. Business Research Quarterly, 19(4), 16.
34) Velnampy, P. T. (2013). Corporate Governance and Firm Performance: A Study of Sri. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, 4(3), 9.
35) Velnampy, T., & Pratheepkanth, P. (June 2013). Corporate Governance and Firm Performance:. European Journa, 2(6),5.
36) Understanding how issues in corporate governance develop: Cadbury report (https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=cadbury+report+on+corporate+governance&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholar)