The Effect of Diversity towards Team Conflict and How Emotional Intelligence Role as Moderating Variable in Improving Team Performance: A Theoretical Study
1Setria Feri,2 Sopiah
1Doctoral Program of Management Science, Universitas Negeri Malang - Indonesia
2Lecturer at Faculty of Economics, Universitas Negeri Malang - Indonesiahttps://doi.org/10.47191/jefms/v4-i11-33
This article is a literature review that discusses the effect of diversity on the occurrence of team conflict and how emotion al intelligence role as a moderating variable to improve team performance. Diversity may trigger relationship conflicts within the team that affect their performance. However, not all diversity has a negative impact if the organization concerned can create a cohesiv e team. Team members with higher levels of expertise on the team should be given more influence over team processes and outcomes. Organizational support and openness have different effects on the relationship of diversity to the occurrence of conflict within the organiz ation. The emotional intelligence of team members was found to play an important role in reducing the negative effects that might be trigg ered by diversity. Emotionally intelligent team members are generally more capable of dealing with differences. Thus, they are more aware of the creative potential of their different thoughts, values, and beliefs. In conclusion, one of the efforts to improve team performance is to reduce or prevent conflicts within the team through emotional intelligence.
Diversity, Team Conflict, Emotional Intelligence, Team Performance.
1) Agrawal, V. (2012). Managing the diversified team: Challenges and strategies for improving performance. Team
Performance Management, 18(7), 384–400. https://doi.org/10.1108/13527591211281129
2) Alipour, K. K., Mohammed, S., & Raghuram, S. (2018). Differences in the Valuing of Power Among Team Members: a Contingency Approach Toward Examining the Effects of Power Values Diversity and Relationship Conflict. Journal of Business and Psychology, 33(2), 231–247. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-017-9488-7
3) Ayoko, O. B., & Konrad, A. M. (2012). Leaders’ transformational, conflict, and emotion management behaviors in culturally diverse workgroups. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal, 31(8), 694–724. https://doi.org/10.1108/02610151211277581
4) Chou, I. H.-S. (2018). Cognitive diversity and creativity in teams: the mediating roles of team learning and inclusion. Chinese Management Studies, 12(2), 369–383. https://doi.org/10.1108/CMS-09-2017-0262
5) Costa, P. L., Passos, A. M., & Bakker, A. B. (2015). Direct and Contextual Influence of Team Conflict on Team Resources, Team Work Engagement, and Team Performance. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 8(4), 211–227. https://doi.org/10.1111/ncmr.12061
6) Curşeu, P. L., & Schruijer, S. G. L. (2010). Does conflict shatter trust or does trust obliterate conflict? Revisiting the relationships between team diversity, conflict, and trust. Group Dynamics, 14(1), 66–79. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0017104
7) Edison, E., Anwar, Y., & Komariyah, I. (2018). Manajemen Sumber Daya Manusia - Strategi dan Perubahan Dalam Rangka Meningkatkan Kinerja Pegawai dan Organisasi (3rd ed.). Alfabeta.
8) Gao, Y. H., Li, P., Zhang, S. Bin, & Chen, J. Q. (2014). Research on the influence of the Team Conflict to Team Performance of high-tech enterprises. International Conference on Management Science and Engineering - Annual Conference Proceedings, 1041–1046. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICMSE.2014.6930343
9) Gunkel, M., Schlaegel, C., & Taras, V. (2016). Cultural values, emotional intelligence, and conflict handling styles: A global study. Journal of World Business, 51(4), 568–585. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2016.02.001
10) Hartono, B., Dzulfikar, L., & Damayanti, R. (2020). Impact of team diversity and conflict on project performance in indonesian start-ups. Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, 13(1), 155–178. https://doi.org/10.3926/jiem.3037
11) Hopkins, M. M., & Yonker, R. D. (2015). Managing conflict with emotional intelligence: Abilities that make a difference. Journal of Management Development, 34(2), 226–244. https://doi.org/10.1108/JMD-04-2013-0051
12) Kaufmann, L., & Wagner, C. M. (2017). Affective diversity and emotional intelligence in cross-functional sourcing teams. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 23(1), 5–16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pursup.2016.07.004
13) Mangkunegara, A. P. (2017). Manajemen Sumber daya Manusia Perusahaan (14th ed.). PT Remaja Rosdakarya Offset.
14) Martins, L. L., Schilpzand, M. C., Kirkman, B. L., Ivanaj, S., & Ivanaj, V. (2013). A Contingency View of the Effects of Cognitive Diversity on Team Performance: The Moderating Roles of Team Psychological Safety and Relationship Conflict. Small Group Research, 44(2), 96–126. https://doi.org/10.1177/1046496412466921
15) Mello, A. L., & Delise, L. A. (2015). Cognitive Diversity to Team Outcomes: The Roles of Cohesion and Conflict Management. Small Group Research, 46(2), 204–226. https://doi.org/10.1177/1046496415570916
16) Mitchell, R., Boyle, B., & Von Stieglitz, S. (2019). Professional Commitment and Team Effectiveness: A Moderated Mediation Investigation of Cognitive Diversity and Task Conflict. Journal of Business and Psychology, 34(4), 471–483. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-018-9550-0
17) Najmaei, A., & Sadeghinejad, Z. (2019). Inclusive Leadership: A Scientometric Assessment of an Emerging Field. 22, 221– 245. https://doi.org/10.1108/s1877-636120190000022012
18) Puck, J. F., Neyer, A. K., & Dennerlein, T. (2010). Diversity and conflict in teams: A contingency perspective. European Journal of International Management, 4(4), 417–439. https://doi.org/10.1504/EJIM.2010.033610
19) Rezvani, A., Barrett, R., & Khosravi, P. (2019). Investigating the relationships among team emotional intelligence, trust, conflict and team performance. Team Performance Management, 25(1–2), 120–137. https://doi.org/10.1108/TPM-03- 2018-0019
20) Saeed, T., Almas, S., Anis-ul-Haq, M., & Niazi, G. (2014). Leadership styles: relationship with conflict management styles. International Journal of Conflict Management, 25(3), 214–225. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJCMA-12-2012-0091
21) Saji, B. S. (2004). Workforce diversity, temporal dimensions and team performance. Cross Cultural Management: An International Journal, 11(4), 40–59. https://doi.org/10.1108/13527600410797873
22) Schoss, S., Urbig, D., Brettel, M., & Mauer, R. (2020). Deep-level diversity in entrepreneurial teams and the mediating role of conflicts on team efficacy and satisfaction. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 1–31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11365-020-00654-1
23) Setiawan, L. (2021). The effect of emotional intelligence, organizational commitment on the team performance of hospital officers in South Sulawesi and Central Sulawesi province, Indonesia. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing, 15(1), 64–82. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPHM-04-2019-0028
24) Sule, E. T., & Saefullah, K. (2005). Pengantar Manajemen (1st ed.). PT. Fajar Interpratama Mandiri.
25) Tekleab, A. G., & Quigley, N. R. (2014). Team deep-level diversity, relationship conflict, and team members’ affective reactions: A cross-level investigation. Journal of Business Research, 67(3), 394–402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2012.12.022
26) Thommes, K., & Klabuhn, J. (2019). Age and tenure diversity on the work floor: Evidence from a natural field experiment in production. Evidence-Based HRM, 9(1), 95–117. https://doi.org/10.1108/EBHRM-04-2019-0033
27) Tranfield, D., Denyer, D., & Smart, P. (2003). Towards a Methodology for Developing Evidence-Informed Management Knowledge by Means of Systematic Review*. British Journal of Management, 14(3), 207–222. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8551.00375
28) Wang, S. (2015). Emotional Intelligence, Information Elaboration, and Performance: The Moderating Role of Informational Diversity. Small Group Research, 46(3), 324–351. https://doi.org/10.1177/1046496415578010
29) Wickramasinghe, V., & Nandula, S. (2015). Diversity in team composition, relationship conflict and team leader support on globally distributed virtual software development team performance. Strategic Outsourcing: An International Journal, 8(2/3), 138–155. https://doi.org/DOI 10.1108/SO-02-2015-0007
30) Zhang, S. J., Chen, Y. Q., & Sun, H. (2015). Emotional intelligence, conflict management styles, and innovation performance An empirical study of Chinese employees. International Journal of Conflict Management, 26(4), 450–478. https://doi.org/DOI 10.1108/IJCMA-06-2014-0039
31) Zulfadil, Hendriani, S., & Machasin. (2020). The influence of emotional intelligence on team performance through knowledge sharing, team conflict, and the structure mechanism. Journal of Management Development, 39(3), 269–292. https://doi.org/10.1108/JMD-12-2018-0354