Analysis of Factors Determining Capital Structure of Firms Listed in Colombo Stock Exchange in Sri Lanka
1M.B.M. Amjath,2 N.F. Sufeera
1,2Senior Lecturer, Department of Accountancy & Finance, South Eastern University of Sri Lanka, Oluvilhttps://doi.org/10.47191/jefms/v4-i11-20
Capital structure describes a mix of long-term debt capital and equity capital employed by a company to fund its operation and finance its assts. The objective of the study is to identify the determinants of the capital structure and examine whether each of the determinants have significant impact on capital structure. A sample of 25 beverage food and tobacco sector firms listed on Colombo Stock exchange(CSE) in Sri Lanka over the period of 2016 to 2020 were considered for the study. The independent variables such as profitability (PROR), firm size (FMSZ), tangibility (TANR) and liquidity (LIQR) and dependant variable such as long term debt ratio (LTDR), short term debt ratio (STDR) were used to measure the leverage level of the firms. The data were analysed and hypotheses were tested through regression analysis and correlation analysis by use of SPSS. Coefficient of regression used to identify the significant impact of each determinant against the endogenous factors. The investigation empirical findings reveals that firm size, tangibility and liquidity have significant negative impact on leverage level (STDR), while profitability has positive insignificant impact on leverage level (SDTR). On the other hand all four element have insignificant relationship with LTDR.
profitability, firm size, tangibility, liquidity, long term debt ratio, short term debt ratio.
1) Banda, Y. W., & Riyad Rooly M.S.A2, M. (2014). Static trade-off theory and practice on corporate debt financing in sri
lanka: evidence from management and firm characteristics. The International Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities
Invention, 1(09), 813-844.
2) HARRIS , M., & RAVIV, A. (1991). The Theory of Capital Structure. THE JOURNAL OF FINANCE, 46(1), 297-355.
3) InunJariya, A. (2015). EFFECT OF CAPITAL STRUCTURE ON PROFITABILITY OF FOOD AND BEVERAGE SECTORS IN SRI LANKA. EPRA International Journal ofEconomic and Business Review, 3(2), 57-63.
4) Pratheepan, T., & Banda, Y. W. (2016). The Determinants of Capital Structure: Evidence from Selected Listed Companies in Sri Lanka. International Journal of Economics and Finance, 8(1), 94-106.
5) Pratheepkanth , P. (2011). CAPITAL STRUCTURE AND FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE: EVIDENCE FROM SELECTED BUSINESS COMPANIES IN COLOMBO STOCK EXCHANGE SRI LANKA. Journal of Arts, Science & Commerce, 2(2), 171-183.
6) Velnampy , T., & Niresh , J. A. (2012). The Relationship between Capital Structure & Profitability. Global Journal of Management and Business Research, 12(13), 67-74.
7) Gowsika , S. (2015). IMPACT OF CORPORATE GOVERNANCE ON CAPITAL STRUCTURE OF LISTED BEVERAGE FOOD AND TOBACCO COMPANIES IN SRI LANKA. Proceeding of International Conference on Contemporary Management, 117-129.
8) Hanithavijeyaratnam, & Anandasayanan , s. (2015). The Determinants of Leverage of Sri Lankan Manufacturing Companies Listed on Colombo Stock Exchange. International Journal of Research in Business Studies and Management, 2(2), 30-37.
9) Hassan, s. M. (2012). factors determing capital stucutre the analysis of beverage food andtobacco sector firms listed in cse. factors determing capital stucutre the analysis of beverage food andtobacco sector firms listed in cse, 52-61.
10) Menike, L. (2015). Capital Structure and Financing of Small and Medium Sized Enterprises: Empirical Evidence from a Sri Lankan Survey. Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Development, 13(1), 54-65.
11) RKajanantha, R., & Nimalthasan, P. (2013). CAPITAL STRUCTURE AND ITS IMPACT ON FIRMS PERFORMANCE ; A STUDY ON SRI LANKAN LISTED MANUFACTURING COMPANIES. Merit Research Journal of Business and Management, 1(2), 37- 44.
12) Sangeetha , M., & Sivathaasan , N. (2013). Factors Determining Capital Structure: A Case study of listed companies in Sri Lanka. Research Journal of Finance and Accountin, 4(6), 236-247.
13) Silva, P., & Ranjani , R. (2010). An Empirical Analysis on Determinants of Capital Structure in Sri Lankan Companies. Proceedings of the Research Symposium, 146.
14) Siromi, B., & Chandrapala , P. (2017). The Effect of Corporate Governance on Firms’ Capital Structure of Listed Companies in Sri Lanka. Journal of Competitiveness, 9(2), 19-33.