The Role of Job Satisfaction as Mediating of Financial Compensation and Communication Competence on the Agricultural Instructor Performance
1Ramzi, 2Mahdani Ibrahim, 3A. Sakir, 4Mukhlis Yunus
1,2,3,4Faculty of Economics and Business, Universitas Syiah Kuala, Indonesiahttps://doi.org/10.47191/jefms/v4-i11-12
This study aims to determine the impact of financial compensation and communication competence on employee performance. job satisfaction is involved as a mediator. A total of 165 employees were involved as respondents in this research proportionally. Data analysis through structural equation modeling (SEM). The results showed that financial compensation plays a very important role in employee satisfaction and performance. Communication competence also has a positive effect on satisfaction and performance. Satisfaction itself is also the main key that has an impact on improving performance. In addition to being a key factor, job satisfaction also plays a role in connecting financial compensation to employee performance. while on the relationship of communication competence to performance, job satisfaction is considered unimportant. We suggest to the management that in order to improve the performance of agricultural extension workers, financial compensation should get more attention. Likewise, communication competence needs to be improved through employee training and development.
Financial Compensation, Communication Competence, job satisfaction and agricultural instructor performance
1) Absar, M.M.N., M.T. Azim, N. Balasundaram and S. Akhter. (2010). Impact of human resources practices on job
satisfaction: Evidence from manufacturing firms in Bangladesh. Econ. Sci. Ser., 62: 31-42
2) Adigun, Rotimi, & Hamzat. (2018). Influence of Job Satisfaction on Employees’performance in MTN Nigeria. International Journal of Emerging Research in Management and Technology, 6(7), 138. https://doi.org/10.23956/ijermt.v6i7.200
3) Ardana, I Komang dkk. (2012). Manajemen Sumber Daya Manusia. Yogyakarta. Graha Ilm
4) B-Ikeguchi. C .(2014). Language Competence and Intercultural Communication Competence. Annual International Conference on Language, Literature & Linguistics. 21-28
5) Bakotic . D. and Babic, T. (2013). Relationship between working conditions and job satisfaction: The case of croatian shipbuilding company, Int. J. Bus. Soc. Sci., vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 206– 213,
6) Baron, R. M. and Kenny, D. A. (1986). The Moderator-Mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research: Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182.
7) Campbell, T. T., Judge, T. A., & Robbins, S. P. (2010). Organizational Behaviour. Harlow: Pear.
8) Campion et al. (2011). doing competencies well: best practices in competency modeling; personnel psychology 2011, 64, 225–262; http://blogs.wayne.edu/ioadventures/files/2013/12/Doing-Competencies Well-Best Practices.pdf
9) Cetină, I., Munthiu, M.-C., & Rădulescu, V. (2012). Psychological and Social Factors that Influence Online Consumer Behavior. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 62, 184–188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.029
10) Darma, P. S., & Supriyanto, A. S. (2018). the Effect of Compensation on Satisfaction and Employee Performance. Management and Economics Journal (MEC-J), 1(1), 66. https://doi.org/10.18860/mec-j.v1i1.4524
11) Duwit, F. (2015). Pengaruh Kompetensi Komunikasi, Kecerdasan Emosional, dan Budaya Organisasi Terhadap Kinerja Pegawai. Emba, 3(4), 130–141.
12) Hair, J. F., Black. W. C., Babin. B. J.; and Anderson. R. E. (2013),. Multivariate Data Analysis. Anderson Seventh Edition. Pearson Prentice Hall, New Jersey
13) Huang, MC., Liu, TC. (2012). The impact of external environment and self-serving motivation on physician’s organizational citizenship behaviors. Journal of Behavioral Studies in Business, 4, 1-10.
14) Küster, I., & Canales, P. (2011). Compensation and control sales policies, and sales performance: The field sales manager’s points of view. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 26(4), 273–285. https://doi.org/10.1108/08858621111127018
15) Light, J., & McNaughton, D. (2014). Communicative competence for individuals who require augmentative and alternative communication: A new definition for a new era of communication? AAC: Augmentative and Alternative Communication, 30(1), 1–18. https://doi.org/10.3109/07434618.2014.885080
16) Lim, S. M., Park, J., & Kim, H. S. (2012). The effects of nurse’s communication and self-leadership on nursing performance. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 21, 274–282.
17) Likert, Rensis (1932). A Technique for the Measurement of Attitudes, Archives of pshychology
18) M.Baledi, & Saed, R. Al. (2017). Performance Through Job Satisfaction in Jordanian. International Journal of Business Quantitative Economics and Applied Management Research, 4(5), 86–102.
19) Mabaso, C. M., & Dlamini, B. I. (2017). Impact of Compensation and Benefits on Job Satisfaction. Research Journal of Business Management, 11(2), 80–90. https://doi.org/10.3923/rjbm.2017.80.90
20) Moeheriono (2012). Pengukuran Kinerja Berbasis Kompetens. Jakarta: Raja. Grafindo Persada
21) Nikolajevaite, Margarita, & Sabaityte, E. (2016). Relationship Between Employees’ Competencies and Job Satisfaction: British and Lithuanian Employees. Journal of Psychology Research, 6(11), 684–692. https://doi.org/10.17265/2159- 5542/2016.11.007
22) Parvin, M. M., & Karbin, M. M. N. (2011). Factors Affecting Employee Job Satisfaction of Pharmaceutical Sector. Journal of Business and Management Research, Vol. 1(9): 113–123
23) Peraturan Menteri Pertanian No. 91/Permentan/0t.140/9/ 2013, tentang Pedoman Evaluasi Kinerja Penyuluh Pertanian.
24) Pitaloka, E., & Sofia, I. P. (2015). The Affect Of Work Environment, Job Satisfaction, Organization Commitment On Ocb Of Internal Auditors. The Journal of Social Psychology, 5(1), 10–18. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JNR.0000387319.28010.5e
25) Platis, C., Reklitis, P., & Zimeras, S. (2015). Relation between Job Satisfaction and Job Performance in Healthcare Services. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 175, 480–487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.1226
26) Rahimi Gh., Vazifeh D. Q. (2011). Surveying of ethical climate indexes on labor productivity in small and medium enterprises of iran, Asian Journal of Business and Management Sciences, Vol. 1 No. 4 , pp163-174
27) Rubin, R. B., Martin, M. M., Bruning, S. S., & Power, D. E. (1991). Interpersonal communication competence: Scale development and test of a self-efficacy model. In Paper presented at the meeting of the Communication Association
28) Robbins, P.S., & Judge, T. (2016). Human Resource Management, Edisi 10, Jilid 1, Jakarta: Salemba Empat
29) Rozanna, N., Adam, M., & Majid, M. S. A. (2019). Does Job Satisfaction Mediate the Effect of Organizational Change and Organizational Culture on Employee Performance of the Public Works and Spatial Planning Agency? IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 21(1), 45–51. https://doi.org/10.9790/487X-2101044551
30) SobelM. E. (1982). Asymptotic Confidence Islamic Index (JII) Tahun 2003 – 2005.
31) Suher, I. K., Bir, C. S., Engin, E., & Akgoz, B. E. (2016). Employee Satisfaction: CommunicationCompetence and Leadership Oriented Approach. International Journal of Innovative Research and Development, 1(7), 194–202.
32) Undang Undang No 16 tahun (2006). Mengenai Sistem Penyuluhan Pertanian, Perikanan dan Kehutanan Di Indonesia
33) Yaseen, A. (2013). Effect of Compensation Factors on Employee Satisfaction- A Study of Doctor’s Dissatisfaction in Punjab. International Journal of Human Resource Studies, 3(1), 142. https://doi.org/10.5296/ijhrs.v3i1.3351
34) Yu, S., & Ko, Y. K. (2017). Communication competency as a mediator in the self-leadership to job performance relationship. Collegian, 24(5), 421–425. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2016.09.002