The Impacts of Benefits Perception and Risks Awareness on Participating In Voluntary Social Insurance - A Study on Informal Workers in Hanoi Area
1Thi Huong Mai, 2Thi Mai Mai
1University of Labor and Social Affairs Hanoi, Vietnam
2Hanoi Law University, Vietnamhttps://doi.org/10.47191/jefms/v4-i9-01
Voluntary social insurance is the type of social insurance that an employee voluntarily participates in, it is allowed the employee to choose the payment rate and method of payment in accordance with his/her income, based on the general regulations of the State. Accordingly, this is an additional form of compulsory social insurance in the context of not implementing compulsory social insurance for all employees. This is an opportunity for employees to have an additional means of ensuring their financial condition against risks and incidents in life. However, the actual results indicate that the number of voluntary social insurance participants has increased rapidly but is not commensurate with its potential. This study aims to examine the effects of perceptions of benefits and perceptions of risk on attitudes towards voluntary social insurance based on a survey conducted on 245 workers in the informal sectors in Hanoi. The research results show that, as expected and consistent with previous studies, the attitude towards participating in social insurance is actually influenced by the participants' perception of benefits and risks. Accordingly, it is necessary to focus on increasing these perceptions for employees as the solutions to change attitudes with voluntary social insurance. This will promote the intention and behavior of employees to participate in social insurance in the informal sector, thereby contribute to ensure social security.
Attitude, benefit perceptions, Risk perceptions, Voluntary social insurance participation
JEL CODE: G00, G02, G22
1) AJZEN, I. 2006. Constructing a theory of planned behavior questionnaire. Amherst, MA.
2) AJZEN, I. & FISHBEIN, M. 2005. The influence of attitudes on behavior. The handbook of attitudes, 173 - 221.
3) AL-RAWAD, M. & AL KHATTAB, A. 2015. Risk perception in a developing country: The case of Jordan. International Business Research, 8, 81 - 96.
4) ALLPORT, G. W., VERNON, P. E. & LINDZEY, G. 1970. Study of values: Manual, Riverside Publishing Company.
5) ARGYRIOU, E. & MELEWAR, T. 2011. Consumer attitudes revisited: A review of attitude theory in marketing research. International Journal of Management Reviews, 13, 431-451.
6) BAEK, E. & DEVANEY, S. 2005. Human capital, bequest motives, risk, and the purchase of life insurance. Personal Finance, 4, 62 - 84.
7) BRAHMANA, R., BRAHMANA, R. K. & MEMARISTA, G. 2018a. Planned Behaviour in Purchasing Health Insurance. The South East Asian Journal of Management, 12, 53 - 64.
8) BRAHMANA, R., BRAHMANA, R. K. & MEMARISTA, G. 2018b. Planned Behaviour in Purchasing Health Insurance. The South East Asian Management, 12, 53 - 64.
9) BURNETT, J. J. & PALMER, B. A. 1984. Examining Life Insurance Ownership Through Demographic and Psychographic Characteristics. Journal of Risk and Insurance (pre-1986), 51, 453.
10) CZELLAR, S. 2003. Consumer attitude toward brand extensions: an integrative model and research propositions. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 20, 97-115.
11) EAGLY, A. H. & CHAIKEN, S. 1993. The psychology of attitudes, Harcourt brace Jovanovich college publishers.
12) EJYE OMAR, O. & OWUSU-FRIMPONG, N. 2007. Life Insurance in Nigeria: An Application of the Theory of Reasoned Action to Consumers' Attitudes and Purchase Intention. The Service Industries Journal, 27, 963-976.
13) FAZIO, R. H. 1990. Multiple processes by which attitudes guide behavior: The MODE model as an integrative framework. Advances in experimental social psychology. Elsevier.
14) FEIGE, U. A threshold of ln n for approximating set cover (preliminary version). Proceedings of the twenty-eighth annual ACM symposium on Theory of computing, 1996. 314-318.
15) FISHBEIN, M. & AJZEN, I. 1980. Understanding attitudes and predicting social behavior.
16) FLETCHER, K. P. & HASTINGS, W. J. 1984. Consumer choice: a study of insurance buying intention, attitudes and beliefs. The Service Industries Journal, 4, 174-188.
17) FORTUNE, P. 1973. A theory of optimal life insurance: Development and tests. The Journal of Finance, 28, 587-600.
18) HAIR JR, J. F., HULT, G. T. M., RINGLE, C. & SARSTEDT, M. 2016. A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM), Sage publications.
19) HAIR JR, J. F., SARSTEDT, M., RINGLE, C. M. & GUDERGAN, S. P. 2017. Advanced issues in partial least squares structural equation modeling, saGe publications.
20) HART, K. 1973. Informal income opportunities and urban employment in Ghana. The journal of modern African studies, 11, 61-89.
21) HOÀNG BÍCH HỒNG 2021. Thực trạng và giải pháp phát triển đối tượng tham gia bảo hiểm xã hội. tạp chí Tài chính.
22) JACOBY, J. & B. KAPLAN, L. 1972. The Components Of Perceived Risk.
23) JACOBY, J. & KAPLAN, L. B. 1972. The Components of Perceived Risk. ACR Special Volumes, 382 - 393.
24) JACOBY, J., MORRIN, M., JACCARD, J., GURHAN, Z., KUSS, A. & MAHESWARAN, D. 2002. Mapping attitude formation as a function of information input: Online processing models of attitude formation. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 12, 21-34.
25) KAPLAN, G., BARELL, V. & LUSKY, A. 1988. Subjective state of health and survival in elderly adults. Journal of gerontology, 43, S114-S120.
26) KASULE, S. 2011. Consumer attitudes, financial literacy and consumption of insurance in Kampala, Uganda. Makerere University.
27) NGUYỄN HỒNG HÀ & LÊ LONG HỒ 2020. CÁC YẾU TỐ ẢNH HƯỞNG ĐẾN QUYẾT ĐỊNH THAM GIA BẢO HIỂM XÃ HỘI TỰ NGUYỆN CỦA NGƯỜI LAO ĐỘNG KHU VỰC PHI CHÍNH THỨC TẠI TỈNH KIÊN GIANG. Tạp Chí Tài chính, 9.
28) NGUYỄN THỊ NGUYỆT DUNG & NGUYỄN THỊ SINH 2019. NGHIÊN CỨU CÁC YẾU TỐ ẢNH HƯỞNG ĐẾN Ý ĐỊNH THAM GIA BẢO HIỂM XÃ HỘI TỰ NGUYỆN CỦA NGƯỜI LAO ĐỘNG TRÊN ĐỊA BÀN HUYỆN THẠCH THẤT, THÀNH PHỐ HÀ NỘI. tạp chí Khoa học - Công nghệ Số 53.2019, 107-112.
29) NGUYỄN TIẾN DŨNG, PHẠM NGỌC TRÂM ANH & PHẠM TIẾN MINH 2015. Các yếu tố ảnh hưởng đến ý định mua bảo hiểm hưu trí tự nguyện của cư dân TP. HCM.
30) NGUYỄN XUÂN CƯỜNG, NGUYỄN XUÂN THỌ & HỒ HUY TỰU 2014. Một số nhân tố ảnh hưởng đến sự quan tâm tham gia bảo hiểm xã hội tự nguyện của người buôn bán nhỏ lẻ trên địa bàn tỉnh Nghệ An. VNU Journal of Science: Economics and Business, 30.
31) OMAR, O. E. 2007. The retailing of life insurance in Nigeria: an assessment of consumers' attitudes. The Journal of Retail Marketing Management Research, 1, 41-47.
32) PHAN KHOA CƯƠNG, HỒ THỊ HƠNG LAN & LÊ HOÀNG ANH 2019. Phát triển bảo hiểm xã hội tự nguyện trên địa bàn tỉnh Thừa Thiên - Huế. tạp chí Tài chính,.
33) ROHRMANN, B. 2002. Risk attitude scales: Concepts and questionnaires. Melbourne: University of Melbourne, 12.
34) SARSTEDT, M., RINGLE, C. M., SMITH, D., REAMS, R. & HAIR JR, J. F. 2014. Partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM): A useful tool for family business researchers. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 5, 105-115.
35) TỔNG CỤC THỐNG KÊ 2017. Kết quả tổng điều tra kinh tế năm 2015. In: TỔNG CỤC THỐNG KÊ (ed.).
36) TRẦN THỊ BÍCH NHÂN & ĐỖ THỊ MINH HƯƠNG 2019. Kinh tế phi chính thức ở Việt Nam: Thực trạng và giải pháp. Tạp chí Tài chính.
37) WONG, K. K.-K. 2013. Partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM) techniques using SmartPLS. Marketing Bulletin, 24, 1-32.
38) ZHU, Y. 2007. One‐Period Model of Individual Consumption, Life Insurance, and Investment Decisions. Journal of Risk and Insurance, 74, 613-636.