Ambille, Beauty Eric
Department of Marketing, Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Port Harcourt Rivers State, Nigeriahttps://doi.org/10.47191/jefms/v4-i8-05
The growing trend in marketing technologies presents opportunity for maximum productivity and profitability through the adoption of mobile technologies, phone calls in particular to business organizations. Firms who see this development as opportunity of gaining consumer purchase stand a better chance for survival. The adoption of telemarketing in the food and beverage firms is increasing given the spate of consumer awareness of the usefulness of mobile phones in purchase however the measure of consumer purchase behavior in telemarketing is still minimal in marketing research. This research seeks to validate empirically, while analyzing the influence of telemarketing on consumer purchase behavior of food and beverage firm in Port Harcourt. The study adopted quantitative research design using a survey method. A total of 184 subjects made of marketing managers and employees in the frame of eight (8) respondents from 25 firms were surveyed through questionnaire administration. Four research questions were posed and four hypotheses were tested. Data analysis was done using descriptive statistics of mean and standard deviation while inferential statistics of Spearman’s Rank Correlation Coefficient (rho) was used to test the stated hypothesis in SPSS version 25 which was used to correlate data on the independent and dependent variables of the study. The findings from the Spearman’s rank correlation coefficient analysis result reveal a significant relationship between inbound marketing, outbound marketing, B2B telemarketing, B2C telemarketing and consumer purchase behavior. It was concluded that telemarketing influence on consumer purchase behavior of food and beverage firms in Port Harcourt is significant. The study therefore recommends that food and beverage firms’ marketers should engage convenient advertisement strategies that accommodate customer feedback, extract customer data from available directories such as the network service provider data base, initiate and maintain good rapport with other firms and provide regular and up to-date training to the telemarketers to achieve customer purchase in Port Harcourt.
1) Aaker, D. A. & Donald E. B. (1985). Causes of Irritation in Advertising .Journal of Advertising Research, 21,15–23.
2) Adam, H. (2019). Cold calling. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/coldcalling.aspA
3) Akwasi, A. (2014). Effects of advertising on consumer buying behaviour: With Reference to Demand for Cosmetic Products in Bangalore, India. New Media and Mass Communication, 6(2), 27-41.
4) Alexander, J. C. (2011). Managerial and consumer attitudes about information privacy. Journal of Direct Marketing. 44- 57.
5) Ankit, M. & Reeti, R. (2009). Classifying customers on the basis of their attitudes towards telemarketing. Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing, 17(3), 171–193.
6) Ankit, S., Neetu, D. & Amir, S. (2014). Consumer buying behaviour. International Research Journal of Management Sociology & Humanity, 5(12), 2348–9359.
7) Anton, J. & Gustin, D. (2000).Call center benchmarking. West Lafayette, IN: Purdue University Press.
8) Atkinson, R. C. & Shiffrin, R.M. (1968). Human memory: A Proposed System and its Control Processes. Psychology of Learning and Motivation. 2. 89–195.
9) Boyd, E. (1996). Defensive marketing’s use of post-purchase telecommunications to create competitive advantages: a strategic analysis.Journal of Consumer Marketing, 13(1), 26-34.
10) Brooke, H. (2017). What are the different types of telemarketing?https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-different types-of- telemarketing.
11) Duncan, G. (2001). Streetwise direct marketing. Massachusetts: Adams Media Corp.
12) Evans, M., Malley, L. & Patterson, M. (2010). “Direct Marketing: rise and rise or rise and fall,” Journal Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 13(6), 16-23.
13) Fennis, B. M. & Bakker A. (2001). Need to evaluate modertes and transfer of irritation in advertising. Journal of advertising, 30-3.
14) Gandhi, I. & Dalian, Z. (2014). Impact of electronic marketing on customer purchase behavior in the Indian hospitality industry. GJMS 2011 Global Journal of Marketing Science, 2(4):41-53.
15) Geetika, D. T. & Preeti, G. (2012). A study of Indian consumers’ perception on telemarketing. International Journal of eEducation, e-Business, e-Management and e-Learning, 2(2), 1-16.
16) Goodrich, K. & De Mooij (2014). How ‘social’are social media? A cross-cultural comparison of online and offline purchase decision influences. Journal of Marketing Communications. 22-132
17) Grindstone, (2019, August 13). Telemarketing and telesales. https://www.b2bleadexperts.com/benefits-of telemarketing-for-small-businesses/.
18) Hatcher, L. (1994).A step-by-step approach to using the sas system for factor analysis and structural equation modeling. NC: SAS Institute Inc. Cary.
19) Hoyer, D. & MacInnis, R. P. (1997). Consumer behavior. https://s3.studentvip.com.au/notes/5692-sample.pdf.
20) Hoyer, W.D. & MacInnis, D.J. (1997). Consumer behavior, 5th edn. Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning.
21) Hurst, C. (2012). “Sustainable telemarketing? A new theory of consumer behaviour,” Direct Marketing: An International Journal, 2(2), 111-124.
22) Kaynak, E. & Samli, A.C., (2006). Eastern European marketing systems and Western marketing research voids: a research agenda.Journal of Business Research, 14, 109-16.
23) Kelvin, B. T. (2005). The impact of the brand management system on brand performance in B–B and B–C environments.Industrial Marketing Management, 37, 7, 848–55.
24) Kotler, P. & Keller, K. (2011). Marketing management. (14th edition), London: Pearson Education.
25) Li ,h., Edwards, S. & Lee, H. (2002). Measuring the intrusiveness of advertisements: Scale development and validation. Journal of advertising 31(2) pg 37-47.
26) Licata, W. & Kleiner,B.(2005). Managing telemarketing departments effectively. Management Research News, 28(11/12), 14-19.
27) Licata, W. & Kleiner, B. B. (2005). Managing Telemarketing Departments Effectively, Management Research News, 28(12), 14- 19.
28) Manali, K. (2015). Consumer buying behavior. International Journal of Innovation and Scientific Research, 14(2), 278- 286.
29) McCartan-Quinn, D., Durkin, M. & Donnell, O.A. (2000). Exploring the application of IVR: Lessons from retail banking. Service Industries Journal 24 (3), 150 – 168 .
30) Nancarrow, C & Sally, M. (2008). “Rapport in telemarketing- mirror, mirror on the call,” Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 16(1), 12-21.
31) Peppers, D., Rogers, M. & Dorf, B. (1999). The one to one fieldbook. New York: Doubleday.
32) Szymanski, (2001). Modality and offering effects in sales presentations for a good versus a service, Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, 29(2), 179-189.
33) Thamizhchel, G. V. (2012). Consumers’ attitude towards tele-marketing. International. J. Com & Bus. Manage. 5(2), 301- 304.
34) Vsynergize,(2017, June 15). How is B2B telemarketing different from B2C telemarketing? https://www.vsynergizeoutsourcing.com/outsourcing-services-blog/how-is-b2b-telemarketing-different-from-b2c telemarketing/.
35) Wickham, J. & Collins, G. (2004). The call centre: A nursery for new forms of work organisation? Service Industries Journal,24 (1), 1–18.
36) Young, R. N. & Sang, B. P. (2014). Research on factors affecting performance indicators of telemarketers based on talk time in the life insurance market: The Case of Korea. International Journal of Economics and Finance; 6(12), 21-33