1Timothy Kipkogei Kiptum,2Dr. Naomy Koske,3Dr. Patrick Limo
1,2,3Moi University Department of Finance and Accounting Kenyahttps://doi.org/10.47191/jefms/v4-i8-33
This paper aims at examining the impact of income diversification on financial performance. The motivating factor is an occasion by raising pursuance of interest activities and fluctuations of profitability among banks due to the declining interest income and stiff competition.
This study uses a sample of 31 Kenyan banks and data for the period 2008-2019. Data is analyzed through fixed-effect regression analysis.
The study finds that income diversification improves bank profitability. The findings are attributable to an increase in non-interest income and possible risk diversification. Moreover, the study controls for several banking sector-specific factors that affect financial performance. The results show bank size, age, loan portfolio quality, lending strategy, and market share have a significant effect.
Research implications –
Based on the results, the study recommends that bank managers should consider engaging in non-traditional activities that generate non-interest income to compensate for deteriorating interest income and to boost performance. In addition, the study recommends that bank regulators should relax rules that limit the extent to which banks can engage in non-interest earning activities
1) Batten, J. and Vo, X.V. (2019), “Determinants of Bank profitability—evidence from Vietnam”, Emerging Markets Finance
and Trade, Vol. 55 No. 6, pp. 1417-1428, DOI: 10.1080/1540496X.2018. 1524326
2) Berger, P.G. and Ofek, E., (1995), ‘Diversification’s effect on firm value’, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 37, pp. 39- 65
3) Berger, A. N., Hasan, I., & Zhou, M. (2010). The effects of focus versus diversification on bank performance: Evidence from Chinese banks. Journal of Banking & Finance, 34(7), 1417-1435.
4) Berry,T.R., Liebenberg, A.P., Ruhland, J.S.,& Sommer,W. (2012). Determinants of corporate diversification: Evidence from the property-liability insurance industry. The Journal of Risk and Insurance
5) Bongomin, G. O. C., Munene, J. C., Ntayi, J. M., & Malinga, C. A. (2019). Collective action among rural poor: Does it enhance financial intermediation by banks for financial inclusion in developing economies?. International Journal of Bank Marketing
6) Brei, M., Borio, C., & Gambacorta, L. (2020). Bank intermediation activity in a low‐interest‐rate environment. Economic Notes, 49(2), e1216
7) CBK (2019). Central Bank of Kenya Bank Supervision Annual Report 2019. Central Bank of Kenya
8) CBK (2018). Central Bank of Kenya Bank Supervision Annual Report 2018. Central
9) Bank of Kenya
10) Chang, Sungyong, Bruce Kogut, and Jae-suk Yang (2016). "Global Diversification
11) Discount and Its Discontents: A Bit of Self‐selection Makes a World of Difference." Strategic Management Journal 37.11: 2254-274
12) Chris M. Lawrey& Brandon C. L. Morris, (2019). Corporate diversification and
13) Abnormal returns. Journal of Asset Management, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(1), pages 31-37
14) Delpachitra, S., & Lester, L. (2013). Non‐Interest Income: Are Australian Banks Moving Away from their Traditional Businesses?. Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy, 32(2), 190-199
15) Dina Patrisia&ShabbirDastgir, (2017).Diversification and corporate social
16) Performance in manufacturing companies.Eurasian Business Review, Springer; Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 7(1), pages 121-139,
17) Elsas, R., Hackethal, A., & Holzhäuser, M. (2010). The anatomy of bank diversification. Journal of Banking & Finance, 34(6), 1274-1287.
18) Fang, Y., Hasan, I., & Marton, K. (2014). Institutional development and bank stability: Evidence from transition countries. Journal of Banking & Finance, 39, 160-176
19) Emanuela,Delbufalo Sara Poggesi Simone Borra , (2016).Diversification, family
20) Involvement and firm performance. Journal of Management Development, Vol. 35 Iss 5 pp. 663 – 680
21) Faith Atiti, Stephanie Kimani and Raphael Agung (2019). Bank stability and
22) Competition: The case of the Kenyan Banking Sector. KBA Working Paper Series.
23) Fang, J., Lau, C.-K.M., Lu, Z., Tian, Y., and Zhang, H. (2019), "Bank performance in
24) China: a perspective from bank efficiency, risk-taking and market competition”, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Vol. 56, pp. 290-309, DOI: 10.1016/j.pacfin.2019.06.011.
25) Githaiga, P.N. (2021)."Revenue diversification and financial sustainability of
26) microfinance institutions", Asian Journal of Accounting Research,
27) Githaiga, P. N., & Yegon, J. C. (2019). Income diversification and performance: should banks trade?. Business & Social Sciences Journal, 4(2), 52-64
28) Genchev, E. (2012). Effects of market share on the bank's profitability. Review of Applied Socio-Economic Research, 3(1), 87.
29) Guerry, N., and M.Wallmeier.(2017).Valuation of Diversified Banks: New
30) Evidence.” Journal of Banking & Finance 80: 203–214.
31) Gürbüz, A. O., Yanik, S., & Aytürk, Y. (2013). Income Diversification and Bank Performance: E Evidence From Turkish Banking Sector. BDDK Bankacılık ve Finansal Piyasalar Dergisi, 7(1), 9-29
32) Hann, R.N., Ogneva, M. and Ozbas, O., (2013).Corporate diversification and the
33) cost of capital, The Journal of Finance, Vol. 68 (5) pp. 1961-1999
34) Harper, Joel T. &Iyer, Subramanian Rama &Nejadmalayeri, Ali(2017).
35) Diversification discount and investor sentiment. The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 218-236
36) Haubrich, J. G., & Young, T. (2019). Trends in the Noninterest Income of Banks.Economic Commentary(2019-14).
37) Hoechle, D., Schmid, M., Walter, I. and Yermack, D., (2012), ‘How much of the
38) diversification discount can be explained by poor corporate governance?’ Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 103, pp. 41-6
39) Kiemo, S. M., Olweny, T. O., Muturi, W. M., & Mwangi, L. W. (2019). Bank
40) Specific Determinants of Commercial Banks Financial Stability in Kenya. Journal of Applied Finance and Banking, 9(1), 119-145
41) Dimitrios, A., Helen, L., & Mike, T. (2016). Determinants of non-performing loans: Evidence from Euro-area countries. Finance research letters, 18, 116-11)
42) Kurniawan, D. T., & Siswanto, E. (2021). The Impact of Income Diversification and
43) Non-Interest Income Diversification on Indonesian Bank Performance, 2012-2017. In Asia-Pacific Research in Social Sciences and Humanities Universitas Indonesia Conference (APRISH 2019) (pp. 540-546). Atlantis Press
44) Kuppuswamy, Venkat, and Belen Villalonga( 2015). Does diversification create
45) Value in the presence of external financing constraints? Evidence from the 2007–2009 financial crisis. Management Science 62: 905–23.
46) Lamont, O., Polk, C., (2000). Does Diversification Destroy Value? Evidence from
47) Industry Shocks. The Center for Research in Securities Prices, No. 52
48) Li, X., Feng, H., Zhao, S., & Carter, D. A. (2021). The effect of revenue diversification on bank profitability and risk during the COVID-19 pandemic. Finance Research Letters, 101957
49) Lins, Karl V., and Henri Servaes. (2002). Is Corporate Diversification Beneficial in
50) Emerging Markets? financial management 31: 5–31.
51) Lu, J.W., Beamish, P.W. (2004). International Diversification and Firm Performance:
52) The S Curve Hypothesis. Academy of Management Journal, 47:4, 598-609
53) Luu, H. N., Nguyen, L. Q. T., & Vu, Q. H. (2019). Income diversification and financial performance of commercial banks in Vietnam: do experience and ownership structure matter?. Review of Behavioral Finance.
54) Lyandres E, Marchica MT, Michaely R, Mura R (2015). Owners' portfolio
55) diversification and firm investment: Evidence from private and public firms. SSRN Working Paper.
56) Markides, C.C. (2016). Diversification, restructuring, and economic performance.
57) Strategic Management Journal, 16 (2): 101–118
58) Markowitz, H. (1952). Portfolio selection. Journal of Finance, 7:77-91.
59) Manchun Han &Sanghyo Lee &Jaejun Kim, (2019).Effective diversification
60) Strategies For Ensuring Financial Sustainability of Construction Companies in the Republic Of Korea, Sustainability, MDPIJournal, Vol. 11(11), Pages 1-19
61) Manyuru, A., Wachira, M., &Amata, E. (2017). The impact of corporate diversification on firm value in Kenya. African Journal of Business Management, 11(11), 241-249.
62) Maudos, Joaquín (2017).Income structure, profitability, and risk in the European
63) banking sector: The impact of the crisis. Research in International Business and Finance 39: 85–10
64) Mehmood, R.; Hunjra, A.I.; Chani, M.I.(2019). The Impact of Corporate
65) Diversification and Financial Structure on Firm Performance: Evidence from South Asian Countries. J. Risk Financial Management. 2019, 12, 49
66) Mulindi, H. (2021). Cost-Benefit Analysis of Bank Regulation: Does Size Matter?:
67) The case of the Kenyan Banking Sector. KBA Working Paper Series.
68) Nazarova, V. (2015). Corporate Diversification Effect on Firm Value (Unilever Group
69) Case Study).
70) Ndung’u N. (2018), "Next steps for the digital revolution in Africa: inclusive growth
71) and job creations lessons from Kenya”, African Growth Institute. Brookings, Washington DC
72) Oh, Chang Hoon&Sohl, Timo&Rugman, Alan M., (2015).Regional and product
73) diversification and performance of retail multinationals. Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 220-234
74) Ranka Krivokapic, Vladimir Njegomir&DraganStojic (2017) .Effects of corporate
75) diversification on firm performance: evidence from the Serbian insurance industry, Economic Research EkonomskaIstraživanja, 30:1, 1224-1236
76) Rudolph, C. and Schwetzler, B., (2014), ‘Mountain or molehill? Downhill biases in
77) the conglomerate discount measure’, Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 40, pp. 420- 431
78) Saftiana, Y. (2018). Diversification: Complementary Assets and Super Addictive Synergy. J. Advanced Res. L. & Econ., 9, 665
79) Salma U, Hussain A (2018).A Comparative Study on Corporate Diversification and
80) Firm Performance across South Asian Countries. J Account Mark 7: 263
81) Sakharov, A.V. and Folta T.B., (2014), ‘Resource relatedness, deployability, and
82) firm value’, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 35, pp. 1781-179
83) Seo,Sung and Hae Jin chung.(2017).Capital structure and corporate reaction to
84) negative stock returns shocks. International Review of Economics &Finance49:292-312
85) Sissy, M.,&Amidu, M., &Abor Y.,(2017).The effects of revenue diversification and
86) Cross-border banking on risk and returns of banks in Africa.Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(2017).
87) Sharma, S., & Anand, A. (2018). Income diversification and bank performance: evidence from BRICS nations. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management.
88) Shin, J., Ahn, J., & Lee, D. (2015). The impact of diversification with and without commodity bundling on corporate performance: An empirical analysis in Korea telecommunication markets. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 101, 314-319
89) Tatsuo Ushijima (2016).Diversification, Organization, And Value of the Firm.
90) Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 45(2), pages 467-499. African development finance journal
91) Yücel, E., &Önal, Y. B. (2015). Industrial Diversification and Firm Performance in
92) an Emerging Market: Evidence from Turkey. Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, 51(6), 1292-13