1Dyah Kusumastuti,2Ricky Agusiadi,3Sedarmayanti
1,2,3Sangga Buana University, Jl. PHH Mustofa (Suci) No.68 – Bandung, Jawa Barat – Indonesiahttps://doi.org/10.47191/jefms/v4-i8-03
Higher Education Intitution (HEIs) in making changes so that their competitive roles and leadership competencies are factors that need to be taken into account. This paper aims to identify the Job Competency Requirement (JCR) of top leader HEI or rector and analyse the matching of person competency with the JCR in order to placement the appropriate leader in order to achieve effective performance. Methodology using competency with called the Behavior Event Interview (BEI), is a semi structured interview in which the respondent is asked to recall recent, specific events in which he or she felt effective and quantitative methods with surveys using questionnaires. The sample uses HEIs which has excellent institutional accreditation, namely leaders, deans and Heads of Departments (HoD's). The research finding is that the competency requirements for leaders at HEI's are 15 competencies. Practical implications that competency can be used for selection, placement, succession plan, leadership development of HEIs and policy makers concern with leadership development .
Competency Dictionary, Job Competency Requirement, Leadership, Job matching, Higher Education.
1) Babu, M .2016. Characteristics of Effective Leadership of Community College Presidents, Thesis Doctor of Philosophy,
Case Western Reserve University, Management, http:// rave.ohiolink.edu/etdc/view? acc_ num=case1461100084
2) Berger. L.A and Berger D. R.,eds., 2004. The Talent Management Handbook Creating Organizational Excellence by Identifying, Developing, and Promoting Your Best People, by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved. Manufactured in the United States of America. 0-07-141434-7.
3) Boyatzis, R. E. 1982. The competent manager: A model for effective performance. John Wiley & Sons.
4) Bossidy, L & Charan, R. 2005. Execution: The discipline of getting things done. ISBN - 400-04617-3.
5) Boyatzis, R.E. 2008. Competencies in the 21st century, Journal of Management Development, Vol. 27 No. 1, pp. 5-12.
6) Boyatzis, R. E. 2009. Competencies as a behavioral approach to emotional intelligence. Journal of Management Development, 28(9): 749-770.
7) Boyatzis, R. E., & McKee, A. 2005. Resonant leadership: Renewing yourself and connecting with others through mindfulness, hope and compassion.Boston, MA : Harvard Business Press.
8) Boyatzis et al. 2013. Developing resonant leaders through emotional intelligence, vision and coaching ,Organizational Dynamic, Journal homepage:ww.elsevier.com/locte/orgdyn, doi.org/10.1016/j.orgdyn.
9) Hoevemeyer & Victoria A.2006. High-impact interview questions: 701 behavior-based questions to find the right person for every job. AMACOM, a division of American Management Association, NY 10019. ISBN 0-8144-7301-6
10) Kandula, S.R. 2015. Competency -Based Human Resource Management , Published by Asoke K. Ghosh, PHI Learning Private Limited, Rimjhim House 111, ISBN --978-81-203-4706-2
11) Kemenristek -Dikti .2017. Statistik Pendidikan Tinggi 2017 , Katalog . ISSN 2528 - 0252 2017
12) Kusumastuti.D & N.Idrus.2017. Indonesia at a Higher Education cross road: Is WCU the right path, vol.15,no.1, J Institutional Res.South East Asia. doi: 10.1007/s10964-012-. 9857-5.
13) Kusumastuti, D.2012. Identifying competencies that predict effectiveness of disaster managers at local government, Int. J. Society Systems Science, Vol. 6, No. 2, Inderscience , page 159-176 DOI: 10.1504/IJSSS.2014.062437
14) Kusumastuti D. 2010. Reformasi Birokrasi dengan Implementasi Manajemen Sumber Daya Berbasis Kompetensi, Jurnal Administrasi Pemerintahan Daerah; Vol. I Edisi 10 Nomor.2, ISSN: 1829-5193
15) Kusumastuti.D. 2017. Manajemen Sumber Daya Aparatur berbasis Kompetensi unduh di link: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316274009_Manajemen_Sumber_Daya_Aparatur_berbasis_Kompetensi
16) Kusumastuti, D., & Idrus, N. 2017. Nurturing quality of higher education through national ranking: a potential empowerment model for developing countries. Quality in Higher Education, 23(3), 230–248. https://doi.org/10.1080/13538322.2017.1407400
17) Kusumastuti,D .2018. Dealing with Self, People and Job Competencies in predicting Effective Department Managers in Higher Education Journal of Institutional Research South East Asia JIRSEA Issue: Vol. 16 No. 2 September/October . ISSN 1675-6061
18) Kusumastuti, D; Suryaningprang, A, Indriyani D J. 2020 . The Benefits of Competency for Practicing Talent Management in Higher Education, International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 1556-1567.
19) Kusumastuti, D .2020. Self Awareness, Self Management, Social And Professional Competencies Predicting Effective For Male And Female Academics In Higher Education, International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, United Kingdom (IJECM; ISSN 2348-0386)
20) L.M and Spencer, S.M.1993. Competence at work: Models for superior performance.” McClelland, D.C. 1973. Testing for competency rather than intelligence”, American Psychologist, Vol. 28 No. 1, pp. 1-40.
21) Spendlove. M. 2007. Competencies for effective leadership in higher education,” International Journal of Education Management, vol. 21, no.5, p 407-412. DOI 10.1108/ 09513540710760183
22) QS World University Rankings .2016 .QS World University Rankings 2016-2017” https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world- university-rankings/2016, Retrieved December 201