Tourism Corporate Social Responsibility Effects on Purchase Intention during Covid-19: Mediating Role of Trust and Moderating Role of Trust Propensity
1LIQUN W., 2PU Z.
1,2Department of Tourism Management, Jinan University, Shenzhen, Chinahttps://doi.org/10.47191/jefms/v4-i6-01
Though the pyramid model of corporate social responsibility, the paper classified tourism corporate social responsibility into economic responsibility, legal responsibility, ethical responsibility, charitable responsibility and environmental responsibility. With the COVID-19 epidemic as the background, based on 250 questionnaire data, the paper proposed a structural equation model that explore the impact mechanism of tourism corporate social responsibility on tourist purchase intention during the COVID-19 epidemic. The mediation effect of trust was examined in the model. And the question whether trust propensity plays a moderating role was answered.
The results of experimental studies revealed that: First, the economic responsibility, ethical responsibility and charitable responsibility have a significant positive effect on tourist purchase intention during the epidemic period. Second, trust plays a partial mediating role in the relationship between tourism corporate social responsibility and tourist purchase intention. Third, trust propensity has no moderating effect on the relationship between tourism corporate social responsibility and tourist purchase intention. Suggestions for tourism enterprises was put forwarded: except ensuring the quality of tourism products, enterprises should take corporate social responsibility into consideration of the long-term management decisions. Especially in the event of major events (COVID-19), it is more important to show the responsibility of enterprises.
COVID-19 epidemic, tourism corporate social responsibility, purchase intention, trust, trust propensity, structural equation model
1) Archie B. Carroll. (1979). A Three-Dimensional Conceptual Model of Corporate Performance. The Academy of
Management Review (4).
2) Bai Quan-li, Wang Ya-li. (2000). Corporate Social Responsibility: A New View of Business. Journal of Zhengzhou Institute of Aeronautical Industry Management (03), 19-22. doi:10.19327/j.cnki.zuaxb.1007-9734.2000.03.004.
3) Bowen Howard R., Bowen Peter Geoffrey & Gond Jean Pascal. (2013). Social Responsibilities of the Businessman. University of Iowa Press.
4) Chen, Y. (2015). The relationship between retailer image and private brand purchase: The moderating effects of trust tendency and face awareness (Master Degree Dissertation, Nanjing University). https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CMFD201601&filename=1015313408.nh
5) Daniel J. McAllister. (1995). Affect- and Cognition-Based Trust as Foundations for Interpersonal Cooperation in Organizations. The Academy of Management Journal (1),. doi:.
6) Deepak Sirdeshmukh, Jagdip Singh & Barry Sabol. (2002).Consumer Trust, Value, and Loyalty in Relational Exchanges. Journal of Marketing (1),. doi:10.1509/jmkg.22.214.171.12449.
7) Fang, W.C.. (2012). The Effects of Corporate Social Responsibility on Purchase Intention: The Mediating Effects of Brand Attachment and Brand Image. Journal of Business Administration(94),. doi:.
8) Han, E.Q. & Liu, E.Y. (2003). A Study on the Corporate Social Responsibility Influencing of the Purchasing Intention. Advertising Research (60),. doi:.
9) Kaplan Leon B., Szybillo George J. & Jacoby Jacob. (1974). Components of perceived risk in product purchase: A cross validation. Journal of Applied Psychology (3),. doi:10.1037/H0036657.
10) Ki-Hoon Lee & Dongyoung Shin. (2009). Consumers’ responses to CSR activities: The linkage between increased awareness and purchase intention. Public Relations Review (2),. doi:10.1016/j.pubrev.2009.10.014.
11) Lee Haiqin. (2010). An Empirical Study on the Relationship between Corporate Social Responsibility and Customer Loyalty (Doctoral Dissertation, Huazhong University of Science and Technology.). https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CDFD0911&filename=2010184757.nh
12) Luo, L.F. (2012). An empirical study on the impact of corporate social responsibility on brand trust and purchase intention (Master's thesis, Chongqing Technology and Business University). https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CMFD2012&filename=1012425205.nh
13) Lisa C. Wan, , Patrick S. Poon & Chunling Yu. (2016). Consumer reactions to corporate social responsibility brands: the role of face concern. Journal of Consumer Marketing (1),. doi:10.1108/JCM-03-2013-0493.
14) Li, N. (2017). Evaluation system and application of tourism corporate social responsibility (Master's thesis, North University of China). https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CMFD201702&filename=1017167309.nh
15) Liu W. (2017). Study on the intention, behavior and influencing factors of urban residents' purchase of health food (Master's thesis, Jiangnan University). https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CMFD201801&filename=1017250513.nh
16) Lee Sangheun. (2020). A Study on the Impact of Corporate Social Responsibility Perception on Korean Consumers' Brand Attitudes and Purchase Intention (Master Degree Dissertation, East China Normal University). https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CMFD202002&filename=1020636167.nh
17) Morrison Donald G.. (1979). Purchase Intentions and Purchase Behavior. Journal of Marketing (2),. doi:10.1177/002224297904300207.
18) Martin B. Meznar, James J. Chrisman & Archie B. Carroll. (1991). Social Responsibility and Strategic Management: Toward an Enterprise Strategy Classification. Business & Professional Ethics Journal (1),. doi:.
19) Matthew K. O. Lee & Efraim Turban. (2001). A Trust Model for Consumer Internet Shopping. International Journal of Electronic Commerce (1),. doi:10.1080/10864415.2001.11044227.
20) Ma Hongzhuan. (2013). The Public's Perception of Corporate Social Responsibility of Travel Agencies and Its Influence on Buying Intentions (Master's Dissertation, Nanjing University of Finance and Economics). https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CMFD201402&filename=1014189369.nh
21) Matthew Tinker Lisa Barnes David Wilson. (2017). Corporate Social Responsibility Strategy and Its Influence Over Consumer Purchasing Decisions in Financial Institutions. US-China Education Review B(5),. doi: 10.17265/2161- 6248/2017.05.003.
22) Paul S. Richardson,,Alan S. Dick & Arun K. Jain.(1994).Extrinsic and Intrinsic Cue Effects on Perceptions of Store Brand Quality. Journal of Marketing (4),. doi:10.1177/002224299405800403.
23) Robert D. Gatewood & Archie B. Carroll. (1991). Assessment of Ethical Performance of Organization Members: A Conceptual Framework. The Academy of Management Review (4),. doi:.
24) Robert M. Morgan & Shelby D. Hunt. (1994). The Commitment-Trust Theory of Relationship Marketing. Journal of Marketing (3),. doi:10.1177/002224299405800302.
25) Roger C. Mayer, James H. Davis & F. David Schoorman. (1995). An Integrative Model of Organizational Trust. The Academy of Management Review (3),. doi:.
26) Tian Yuan, Hung Chiako & Frumkin Peter. (2020). An experimental test of the impact of corporate social responsibility on consumers' purchasing behavior: The mediation role of trust. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management (6),. doi:10.1002/csr.2015.
27) William B. Dodds, Kent B. Monroe & Dhruv Grewal.(1991).Effects of Price, Brand, and Store Information on Buyers’ Product Evaluations. Journal of Marketing Research(3),. doi:10.1177/002224379102800305.
28) Wang, C. Y., Li, W, J. & Feng, Z, J. (2020). The impact of tourism destination social responsibility on tourism destination brand equity: mediating and moderating mechanism. Travel journal(06), 109-124. doi:10.19765/j.cnki.1002- 5006.2020.06.014.
29) Xie, P. H. & Zhou, Z, C. (2009). An empirical study on the relationship between CSR and consumers' purchase intention in the context of China. Nankai Management Review (01), 64-70+83. doi:CNKI:SUN:LKGP.0.2009-01-011.
30) Zhou, Z. C. (2005). Corporate social responsibility: perspective, form and connotation. The theory of journal(02),58-61. doi:CNKI:SUN:LLSJ.0.2005-02-014.
31) Zhou, Z. C. & Zhang, Y,J. (2007). An empirical study on the relationship between the relative level of corporate social responsibility and consumers' purchase intention. China's Industrial Economy(09), 111-118. doi:10.19581/j.cnki.ciejournal.2007.09.014.
32) Zhou, T. T. & Xu, L, G. (2021). The influence of individual characteristics of sports we-media users on consumption intention: the dual mediating role of information value and trust tendency. Zhejiang Sports Science(02),89-95. doi: CNKI:SUN:ZJTK.0.2021-02-017