1Modeyin Femi ,2 Nwankwo, Odi, Ph.D, 3Samuel Olusegun James, Ph.D
1,2,3Department of Banking and Finance. Kogi State University, Nigeriahttps://doi.org/10.47191/jefms/v4-i4-01
This study examined the determinable factors affecting commercial banks deposits in Nigeria for the period of 2000 to 2019 using panel data of listed banks. The study adopted secondary data obtained from the listed Deposit Money Banks annual reports and were analyzed. Explanatory variables of the study were proxied as Branch Network, Financial intermediation ratio, Bank size, Money Supply and Economic Growth. while Dependent variable was proxied by Deposit value of banks. The study adopted ex-post facto research design to examine the effects of bank-specific and macro-economic factors on deposit in Nigerian Deposit Money Banks. Series of diagnostic tests was carried out by the study. Panel data technique specified random effect model by Hausman test. The study found that branch network and bank size have positive and significant effects with deposit while financial intermediation ratio and economic growth have positive but insignificant effects with deposit during the study period. Also, money supply has negative but significant effect on deposit. The study therefore recommended among others that the regulatory agencies of financial institutions should continue to stimulate competition in the banking industry as increase in branch network still hold key positions in strengthening deposits and activities of the institutions to be able to compete internationally. Also, at the bank level, the improvement of the deposit of Nigerian Deposits Money Banks need to be conducted by a reinforcement of the intermediation activities of banks through central banking regulation programs that will propels financial institutions to adhere to increase in loan-to-deposit portfolio.
Commercial banks, Deposits, Economy, Intermediation, Regression.
1) Abebe, M. (2019). Factors Affecting Deposit Mobilisation: The case of commercial bank of Ethiopia. Masters of Arts Thesis,
St. Mary’s University.
2) Akaninyene, B. O., Innocent O. O., & Aniekpeno, E. (2018). Inflation and deposit mobilization in Deposit Money Banks. The Nigerian perspective. International Journal of Public Administration and Management Research (IJPAMR); 4(4):109- 121.
3) Al-Harbi, A. (2019). The Determinants of rate of return deposits in Islamic Banks. Journal of Finance and Islamic Banking, 2(2): 125-138.
4) Ali, S. A. S., Eldew, K. E. H. I., Alsmadi, M. K., & Almarashdeh (2019). Determinants of deposit of commercial banks in Sudan: an empirical investigation (1980-2012). Int. J. Electronic Finance, 9(3): 230-255.
5) Arikewuyo, K. A., & Akingunola, R. O. (2019). Impact of interest rate deregulation on fund mobilization of deposit money banks in Nigeria. Izvestiya Journal of Varna, University of Economics, 63(2): 89-103.
6) Awole, B. (2016). Determinants of Commercial Banks’ Deposit Growth. Addis Ababa University.
7) Baehaqie, S., Fahmi, I., & Beik, I. (2017). Determining factors of Deposit level of Islamic bank in Indonesia. Journal of Islamic Economics, 9(2): 213-226.
8) Bernard, A. Z. (2019). Macroeconomic Dynamics, Bank-specific factors and Deposit mobilization of the Nigerian Banking sector. Asian Journal of Economics, Business and Accounting, 12(2): 1-16.
9) Chen, Q., Goldstein, I., Huang, Z., & Vasishtha, R. (2020). Bank Transparency and Deposit Flows. American University, Amsterdam Business School.
10) Corovei, E. A, & Socol, A. (2019). The Macroeconomic drivers for Household Deposits Growth in the Eurozone. Academic Journal of Economic Studies, 5(3): 144-151.
11) Douglas, P. H. (1984). The Cobb-Douglas production function once again: its history, its testing, and some new empirical values. Journal of Political Economy, 84(5): 903-915.
12) Eke, C. N. (2019). Poisson regression analysis on economic determinants of commercial banks branches expansion in Nigeria. South Asian Journal of Social Studies and Economics, 5(2): 1-8.
13) Erna, R., & Ekki, S. (2004). Factors Affecting Mudaraba Deposits in Indonesia. Working Paper in Economics and Development Studies. Padjadjaran University, Indonesia.
14) Ferrouhi, E. M. (2017). Determinants of Bank deposits in Morocco. Maghreb Review of Economics and Management, 4(1): 23-26.
15) Gavurona, B., Kocisova, K., Rozsa, Z., & Halaskova, M. (2019). What Affects the Interest Rate on Deposit from Households? Montenegrin Journal of Economics, 15(2): 41-57.
16) Gebre, T. (2019). Determinants of Private commercial banks’ deposit growth in Ethiopia. Masters Thesis, Addis Ababa University.
17) Giragn, G (2015). Determinants of Deposit Mobilization and Related Costs of Commercial Banks in Ethiopia, Addis Ababa University.
18) Halefom, Y. (2015). Determinants of Household Saving in Gedeo Zone, Southern Ethiopia, Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, ISSN 2222-1700 (Paper) ISSN 2222-2855 (Online), 6(7), 93-101.
19) Hassan, O. M. (2016). Effect of Interest Rate on Commercial Bank Deposits in Nigeria, Proceeding of the First American Academic Research Conference on Global Business, Economics, Finance and Social Sciences, 25-28, New York, USA: New York Conference.
20) Islam, SM. N., Ali, M. J., & Wafik, H.M. A. (2019). Determinants of deposit mobilization of private commercial banks: evidence from Bangladesh. International Journal of Business and Management Invention (IJBMI), 8(10): 26-33.
21) Kaba, A. T. (2019). Factors Affecting Deposit Growth of Commercial banks in Ethiopia. MBA Thesis, St. MARY’S University.
22) Kanyugi, G.E., Gudda, P., Ombok, M., & Kibati, P. (2019). Agency Banking Adoption and its Effect on Banks Deposits of Commercial Banks in Kenya, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences 9 (3): 251-263.
23) Ketema, G. (2017). Determinants of Commercial Banks Deposit Mobilization in Ethiopia. Smu. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Unpublished Thesis.
24) Kothari, C. R., & Garg, G. (2014). Research Methodolgy; Methods and Techniques (3rd ed.). New Delhi: New Age International Limited.
25) Lemma, B. (2019). Determinants of Deposit Mobilization: The case of commercial bank of Ethiopia. MBA Thesis, St. MARY University.
26) Lin, L., (2019). Bank Deposits and the Stock Market. The Review of Financial Studies, 1-47.
27) Malkina, M. (2019). Dteterminants of private savings in the form of Bank Deposits: A case study on Regions of the Russian Federation. Economies, 63(7): 1-22.
28) McCadd, J. P. (2015). Commercial bank branching, Deposit depth and state economic growth. Master of Arts, Southern Illinous University, Carbondale.
29) Mistry, D., Savani, V., & Vidyanagar, V. (2015). A comparative study of the Profitability Performance in the Banking Sector: Evidence from Indian Private Sector Bank. In XVI Annual Conference Proceedings January.
30) Ngula, I.B (2012), ‘Determinants of Deposit Mobilization and Its Role in Economic Growth in Ghana’.
31) Nguyen, T.; Tripe, D.; & Ngo, T. (2018). Operational efficiency of bank loans and deposits: A case study of Vietnamese banking system. International Journal of Financial Studies, 6(1): 14.
32) Nwanko, F., Ewuim, N., & Asoya, N. P. (2013). Effects of Co-Operatives on the Savings Behaviour of Members in Oyi Local Goverment Area,Anambra state,Nigeria. African Research Review, 7(1): 209-227.
33) Sekaran, U., & Roger, B. (2013). Research Methodology for Business: A Skill-Building Approach. Sixth edition: Willey.
34) Shemsu, B. (2015). Determinants of Commercial Bank Deposits In Ethiopia: A Case Of Commercial Bank Of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa University.
35) Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (2013). Using multivariate statistics (6th ed.). New York: Pearson Education.
36) Tareq, M.A (2015). ‘Savings Mobilization Behavior Of Ncbs In Bangladesh’, Australian Journal of Business and Economic Studies, Volume 1(2).
37) Tizita, G.Y (2014), ‘Determinants of Private Saving In Ethiopia’, Maters Theses Arbaminch University.
38) Tun, N. N. (2019). An empirical analysis of macroeconomic factors affecting on the Deposit mobilization of private commercial banks in Myannar. International Journal on Recent Trends in Business and Tourism, 3(2): 38-47.
39) Tun, N. N., Alrajawy, I. M. M., & Bhaumik, A. (2020). The implications of Interest rates on Private saving with reference to Myanmar. International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering (IJRTE), 895):1486- 1492.
40) Turhani, a., & Hoda, D. D. H. (2016). The determinative Factors of Deposits Behaviour in Banking System in Albania (Jan 2005- Dec 2014). Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, 5(2): 246-256.
41) Ukinamemen, A.A (2010), ‘The Determinants of Commercial Bank Deposits in Nigeria 1989 - 2007: A Study of Union Bank of Nigeria Plc’, NnamdiAzikiwe University
42) Unvan, Y. A., & Yakubu, I. N. (2020). Do bank- specific factors drive bank deposits in Ghana? Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 1(2): 1-19.
43) Wubitu, E. G (2012), Factors Determining Commercial Bank Deposit: An Empirical Study on Commercial Bank of Ethiopia. MSc project paper: Addis Ababa University.
44) Yakubu, I. N. & Abokor, A. H. (2020). Factors determining bank deposit growth in Turkey: an empirical analysis. Rajagiri Management Journal, 1(1): 1-12.
45) Yannet, H.T. (2016).Determinant factors of deposit mobilization in commercial bank of Ethiopia (unpublished master‘s thesis).St. Mary‘s University, Addis Ababa.
46) Zhang, X., & Daly, K. (2013). The Impact of Bank Specific and Macroeconomic Factors on China’s Bank Performance. Global Economy and Finance Journal, 6(2): 1-25.