1Njideka Maryclara Aguome2Oluchi Adeline Diala, 3Chicheta Francis Nissi1,Ezeh Ezeh & Company, Estate Surveyors and Valuers, Enugu, Nigeria
2,3, Department of Estate Management, University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom, Nigeria
The study is an investigation of the nexus between capital structure and financial returns. The investigation was conducted on a panel data of all real estate investment trusts in Nigeria (N-REITs) listed in the Nigerian Stock Exchange during 2009 to 2020. The independent variable was capital structure indicators of short-term debt, long-term debt and total debt. The dependent variable was proxied using 3 accounting measures of return on asset, return on equity and earnings per share. Data was sourced from secondary sources, specifically from the annual records and financial statements of N-REITs for the period. Upon data analysis with regression, the study found that capital structure had an insignificant relationship with the financial returns of N-REITs. However, for Sky Shelter Fund REIT, the result was contrary due to its statistically significant positive relationship between capital structure and returns. The findings of the study on the means, median and standard deviation of NREIT capital structures shows a compliance with the pecking-order hypothesis of firm financing.
Capital structure, Equity-financing, Financial leverage, N-REITs, Pecking-order model
1) Aharon, D.Y. & Yagil, Y. (2019). The impact of financial leverage on the variance of stock returns. International Journal of
Financial Studies, 7, 14.
2) Ahmed, Z. & Hla, D. (2018). Stock return volatility and capital structure measures of nonfinancial firms in a dynamic panel model: Evidence from Pakistan. International Journal of Finance and Economics, 24(1), 604-628
3) Akinyomi, O. & Olagunju, A. (2013). Determinants of capital structure in Nigeria. International Journal of Innovation and Applied Studies, 3(4), 999-1005.
4) Al Salamat, W. & Mustafa, H. (2016). The impact of capital structure on stock return: Empirical evidence from Amman Stock Exchange. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 7(9), 183
5) Alcock, J. & Steiner, E. (2017). Unexpected Inflation, Capital Structure, and Real Risk‐adjusted Firm Performance. Abacus – A Journal of Accounting, Finance and Business Studies, 53(2), 273-298.
6) Aniagolu, C., Obodo, M. & Ewurum, N.I. (2018). An assessment of commercial real estate performance as an investment option in Nnewi, Anambra State, Nigeria. International Journal of Innovation Engineering and Science Research, 2(1), 40
7) Bao, H. & Gong, C. (2017). Reference-dependent analysis of capital structure and REIT performance. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 69, 38-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socec.2017.05.008
8) Bassey, N., Arene, C. & Okpukpara, B. (2014). Determinants of capital structure of listed agro firms in Nigeria. Economic Affairs, 59(1), 47.
9) Bazofti, N. & Salehi, A. (2017). The effect of growth opportunities on the link between capital structure and abnormal stock returns. Journal of Economic & Management Perspectives, 11(4), 1161-1169.
10) Beracha, E., Feng, Z. & Hardin, W.G. (2019). REIT operational efficiency: Performance, risk, and return. J Real Estate Finan Econ 58, 408–437. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11146-018-9655-2
11) Bolarinwa, S.T. and Adegboye, A.A. (2020). Re-examining the determinants of capital structure in Nigeria. Journal of Economic and Administrative Sciences, https://doi.org/10.1108/JEAS-06-2019-0057
12) Borochin, P., Glascock, J.L., Lu-Andrews, R. et al. (2017). Using option market liquidity to predict REIT leverage changes. J Real Estate Finan Econ, 55, 135–154. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11146-016-9559-y
13) Bron, J.J., Ghosh, C. & Petrova, M. (2018). On the earnings and price momentum strategies: Evidence from European Real Estate Firms. J Real Estate Finan Econ, 57, 400–430. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11146-017-9633-0
14) Chandrasekharan, C. V. (2012). Determinants of capital structure in the Nigerian listed firms. International Journal of Advanced Research in Management and Social Sciences, 1(2).
15) Cole, R. & Sokolyk, T. (2018). Debt financing, survival, and growth of start-up firms. Journal of Corporate Finance, 50, 609-625
16) Dabara, D., Tinufa, A., Soladoye, J., Ebenezer, O. & Omotehinshe, O. (2018). Financial structure of Reits in emerging property markets: An assessment of N-Reits. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, 9(16). http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3242766
17) Dilrukshi, A. (2017). Capital Structure Theory: An overview. Accounting and Finance Research, 6(1).
18) Erol, I., Tirtiroglu, D. (2011). Concentrated ownership, no dividend payout requirement and capital structure of REITs: Evidence from Turkey. J Real Estate Finan Econ, 43, 174–204. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11146-010-9242-7
19) Feng, Z., Ghosh, C. & Sirmans, C.F. (2007). On the capital structure of Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs). Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 34, 81–105. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11146-007-9005-2
20) Giacomini, E., Ling, D. & Naranjo, A. (2017). REIT leverage and return performance: Keep your eye on the target. Real Estate Economics, 45(4), 930-978. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-6229.12179
21) Giacomini, E., Ling, D.C. & Naranjo, A. (2015). Leverage and returns: A cross-country analysis of public real estate markets. J Real Estate Finan Econ, 51, 125–159. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11146-014-9489-5
22) Grybauskas, A. & Pilinkienė, V. (2019). A comparative analysis of R.E.I.T.s, R.E.O.C.s and P.R.E.O.C.s using a Stochastic Frontier Approach. Economic Research-Ekonomska Istraživanja, 32:1, 1542-1560, DOI: 10.1080/1331677X.2019.1632728
23) Hassan, S. (2012). Determinants of capital structure in the Nigerian listed insurance firms. Chinese Business Review, 11(7), 672-681.
24) Hong, S.J. & Najmi, H. (2020). The relationships between supply chain capability and shareholder value using financial performance indicators. Sustainability, 12, 3130.
25) Ibrahim, E. (2009). The impact of capita-structure choice on firm performance: Empirical evidence from Egypt. The Journal of Risk Finance, 10(5), 477-487
26) Letdin, M., Sirmans, C., Sirmans, G. & Zietz, E. (2020). Explaining REIT returns. Journal of Real Estate Literature, 27:1, 1- 25, DOI: 10.1080/10835547.2019.12090493
27) Li, H. and Stathis, P. (2017). Determinants of capital structure in Australia: An analysis of important factors. Managerial Finance, 43(8), 881-897. https://doi.org/10.1108/MF-02-2017-0030
28) Li, L. & Islam, S. (2019). Firm and industry specific determinants of capital structure: Evidence from the Australian market. International Review of Economics & Finance, 59, 425-437
29) Mirza, N., Rahat, B. and Reddy, K. (2016). Financial leverage and stock returns: Evidence from an emerging economy. Economic Research-Ekonomska Istraživanja, 29(1), 85–100. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1331677X.2016.1160792
30) Modigliani, F. and Miller (1958). The cost of capital, corporation finance, and the theory of investment. American Economic Review, 48, 261-297.
31) Modigliani, F. and Miller, H. (1958). The cost of capital, corporate finance and the theory of investment. American Economic Review, 48, 261-97
32) Moradi, A. & Paulet, E. (2019). The firm-specific determinants of capital structure – An empirical analysis of firms before and during the Euro Crisis. Research in International Business and Finance, 47, 150-161.
33) Musatova, M. (2020). Financing architecture and current trends in the development of Russian Small and Medium Enterprises. In: Klonowski D. (eds) Entrepreneurial finance in emerging markets. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-46220-8_11
34) Myers, S. (1984). The capital structure puzzle. Journal of Finance, 39(3), 577-92
35) Ngome, A. (2016). The effect of capital structure on stock returns for firms listed on the Nairobi securities exchange. College of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Nairobi
36) Ogebe, O. & Ogebe, J. (2013). The impact of capital structure on firms’ performance in Nigeria. Munich Personal RePec Archive, 46173
37) Okoro, S. (2017). Impact of capital structure on performance of money deposit banks in Nigeria. Banking & Finance, University of Nigeria
38) Onaolapo, A., Kajola, S. & Nwidobie, M. (2015). Determinants of capital structure: A study of Nigerian quoted companies. European Journal of Business and Management, 7(23), 170
39) Ovidiu-Iulian, B., Razvan-Andrei, C. & Ruxandra-Irina, P. (2019). Influence of some financial indicators on return on equity ratio in the Romanian energy sector - A competitive approach using a DuPont-based analysis. Energy, 189, 116251
40) Owolabi, S. & Inyang, U. (2012). Determinants of capital structure in Nigerian firms: A theoretical review. eCanadian Journal of Accounting and Finance, 1(1), 7-15
41) Rahmatika, D. & Ramdhani, D. (2017). How are the effects of profitability and capital structure on stock return with inflation as a moderation variable? Russian Journal of Agricultural and Socio-Economic Sciences, 12(72)
42) Ramli, N., Latan, H. & Solovida, G. (2019). Determinants of capital structure and firm financial performance—A PLS-SEM approach: Evidence from Malaysia and Indonesia. The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, 71, 148-160.
43) Saif-Alyousfi, A.Y.H., Md-Rus, R., Taufil-Mohd, K.N., Mohd Taib, H. and Shahar, H.K. (2020). Determinants of capital structure: Evidence from Malaysian firms. Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Administration, 12(3/4), 283-326. https://doi.org/10.1108/APJBA-09-2019-0202
44) Salawu, R. and Agboola, A. (2008). The determinants of capital structure of large non-financial listed firms in Nigeria. The International Journal of Business and Finance Research, 2(2), 75-84.
45) Salim, M. & Yadav, R. (2012). Capital Structure and Firm Performance: Evidence from Malaysian Listed Companies. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 65, 156 – 166. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.11.105
46) Tong, S. & Ning, Y. (2004). Does capital structure affect institutional investor choices? The Journal of Investing Winter, 13(4), 53-66; DOI: https://doi.org/10.3905/joi.2004.450757
47) Vo, X. (2017). Determinants of capital structure in emerging markets: Evidence from Vietnam. Research in International Business and Finance, 40, 105-113.
48) Yooa, S. & Wu, J. (2019). Capital structure and stock returns: Evidence from Korean stock markets. Global Business and Finance Review, 24(4), 8 – 23. http://dx.doi.org/10.17549/gbfr.2019.24.4.8