The Effect of Market Orientation and Entrepreneurship Orientation to
Competitive Advantage and Performance
1Mirah Ayu Putri Trarintya,
2Ni Putu Yuliana Ria Sawitri,
3Luh Putu Virra Indah Perdanawati,
4I Made Santosa,
1,2,3,4,Department of Management, Hindu Indonesia University, Bali, Indonesia
5,Faculty of Economics and Business, Udayana University, Bali, Indonesia
This study aims to explain the effect market orientation, entrepreneurship orientation and competitive advantage on performance. The population in this study was all Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises enrolled in Bali. Samples taken based on probability sampling techniques are simple random sampling, where researchers provide equal opportunities for each member of the population (employees) to be chosen as samples randomly regardless of the strata in the population itself with a total sample of 100 enterprises. This examination tried by quantitative techniques with SEM-PLS investigation. The consequences of theory testing demonstrate that 1 of 5 speculations were dismissed. Market orientation not impacts on performance. Market orientation and business enterprise orientation has positive and significant impact to competitive advantage. Business orientation and competitive advantage has positive and significant impact to performance. The example utilized in this examination is restricted with regards to Micro Small and Medium Enterprise. Proposals for further research by including another variable that was not recently contemplated. Useful ramifications in this examination is industry administrators ought to adjust their CPMS to incorporate estimates explicit to intra-hierarchical business enterprise and development and should seek after more noteworthy comprehension of changing client inclinations. This examination offers performance to improve business orientation and item advancement with the goal that it will expand competitive advantage which effects on MSMEs performance.
Market Orientation, Entrepreneurship Orientation, Competitive Advantages, Performance
1) Yasa, N., Giantari, I., Setini, M., Sarmawa, W., Rahmayanti, P., & Dharmanegara, I. (2020). Service strategy based on Tri Kaya Parisudha, social media promotion, business values and business performance. Management Science Letters, 10(13), 2961-2972.
2) Setini, M., Yasa, N. N. K., Gede Supartha, I. W., Ketut Giantari, I., & Rajiani, I. (2020). The Passway of Women Entrepreneurship: Starting from Social Capital with Open Innovation, through to Knowledge Sharing and Innovative Performance. Journal of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity, 6(2), 25.
3) Sels, L., S. D. Winne, J. Delmote, J. Maes, D. Faems, dan A. Forrier. Linking Samargandi, N., Fidrmuc, J., & Ghosh, S. (2015). Is the relationship between financial development and economic growth monotonic? Evidence from a sample of middle-income countries. World development, 68, 66-81.
4) Dagnino, C. A. C., & Pinna, E. (2017). The generational change in family businesses: Comparative analysis between Italy and Peru. Journal of Evolutionary Studies in Business, 2(2), 160-190.
5) Bayraktar, E., M. Demirbag, L. S. Koh, E. Totoglo, dan H. Zaim. A Causal. (2009). Analysis of The Impact of Information System and Supply Chain Management Practices on Operational Performance: Evidence From Manufacturing SMEs in Turkey. International Journal Production Economics, 122, p133-149.
6) Yasa, N., Giantari, I. G. A. K., Setini, M., & Rahmayanti, P. (2020). The role of competitive advantage in mediating the effect of promotional strategy on marketing performance. Management Science Letters, 10(12), 2845-2848.
7) Markovitch, D. G., Huang, D., & Ye, P. (2020). Marketing intensity and firm performance: Contrasting the insights based on actual marketing expenditure and its SG&A proxy. Journal of Business Research, 118, 223-239.
8) Sudiyani, N. N., Kariyana, I. M., Sawitri, N. P. Y. R., Perdanawati, L. P. V. I., & Setini, M. (2020). THE ROLE OF CREATIVE SELF EFFICACY AS MEDIATING ON ENTREPRENEURIAL LEADERSHIP AND INNOVATIVE WORK BEHAVIOR. Solid State Technology, 63(6), 2449-2463.
9) Chadamoyo, P . dan E. Dumbu. (2012). Competitive Strategy and Business Environtment Influencing Performance of Small and Medium Enterprises in The Manufacturing Sector, The Case Study of Manufacturing Firms In Mucheke Light Industry. European Journal of Business and Management, 4(10), p28-35.
10) Poudel, K. P., R. Carter, dan S. Lonial. (2012). The Process Aspect of Entrepreneurial Orientation-Performance Relationship: Uncovering The Mediating Roles of Technological Capabilities, Innovation and Firm Growth. Frontiers of Entre-preneurship Research, 32(12), p1-15.
11) Wingwon, B. (2012). Effects of Entrepreneur- ship, Organization Capability, Strategic Decision Making and Innovation toward the Competitive Advantage of SME Enterprises. Journal of Management and Sustainability, 2(1), p137-150.
12) Taleghani, M., S. Gilaninia, dan S.M. Talab. (2013). Relationship between Market Orientation Culture and Business Performance. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 5(1), p949-954.
13) Dublhlela & Dhurup. (2014). Modelling The Effects of Market Orientation Enablers on Business Performace Among SMEs In A Developing Country, Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences 5(16), p33- 41.
14) Porter. (2008). Competitive Advantage. Jakarta: Karisma Publishing Group.
15) Idar, R., Yusoff, Y., & Mahmood, R. (2013). The Effect Of Market Orientation As Mediator to Strategic Planning Practices and Performance Relationship: Evidence From Malaysian SMEs. Procedia Economic and Finance.
16) Baker, W. ., & Sinkula, J. M. (2009). The Complementary Effects of Market Orientation and Entrepreneurial Orientation on Profitability in Small Business. Jurnal of Small Business Management, 47(4).
17) Appiah-Adu, K & Amoako, G. (2016). The Performance of Marketing Strategies In An Emerging Developing Economy: A Case Study of Selected Market Leaders. African Journal of Economics and Management Studies, 7(1).
18) Long, H. C. (2015). The Impact of Market Orientation and Corporate Social Responsibility on Firm Performance: Evidence from China. Academy of Marketing Studies Journal, 19(1), p570–582.
19) Ge., L. G. & Ding., D. Z. (2005). Market Orientation, Competitive Strategy, and Firm Performance: An Empirical Study of China Firms. Journal of Global Marketing, 18(3/4), p115-140.
20) Bamfo, B. A., & Kraa, J. J. (2019). Market orientation and performance of small and medium enterprises in Ghana: The mediating role of innovation. Cogent Business & Management, 6(1), 1605703.
21) Dabrowski, D., Brzozowska-Woś, M., Gołąb-Andrzejak, E., & Firgolska, A. (2019). Market orientation and hotel performance: The mediating effect of creative marketing programs. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 41, 175-183.
22) Cheng, C.C. and Krumwiede, D. (2012). The Role of Service Innovation in The Market Orientation New Service Performance Linkage. Technovation, 32(7/8).
23) Zhou, K.Z., Yim, C.K. and Tse, D. (2005). The Effects of Strategic Orientations on Technology and MarketBased Breakthrough Innovations. Journal of Marketing, 69(2).
24) Fan, D., Cui, L., Li, Y. and Zhu, C.J. (2016). Localized Learning by Emerging Multinational Enterprises in Developed host Countries; a Fuzzy-Set Analysis of Chinese Foreign Direct Investment in Australia. International Business Review, 25(1).
25) Vega-Vazquez, M., Cossio-Silva, F. J., & RevillaCamacho, M. (2016). Entrepreneurial Orientation-Hotel Performance: Has Market Orientation Anything to Say ? Journal of Business Research, 1–6.
26) Long, H. C. (2013). The Relationship among Learning Orientation, Market Orientation, Entrepreneurial Orientation, and Firm Performance of Vietnam Marketing Communications Firms. Philippine Management Review, 20, p37–46.
27) Tsai, Markus Chiahan. (2017). Linking Service Innovation to Firm Performance The Roles of Ambidextrous Innovation and Market Orientation Capability. Chinese Management Studies, 11(4).
28) Li, Y., Y. Zhao, J. Tan, dan Y. Liu. (2008). Moderating Effects of Entrepreneurial Orientation on Market Orientation- Performance Linkage: Evidance From Chinase Small Firms. Journal of Small Business Management, 46(1), p113-133.
29) Idar R. dan R. (2011). Mahmood. Entrepreuneurial and Marketing Orientation Relationship To Performance: The SME Perspective. Interdisciplinary Review of Economics and Management, 2, p1-8.
30) Zaini, Achmad, Djumilah Hadiwidjojo, Fatchur Rohman dan Ghozali Maskie. (2014). Effect of Competitive Advantage As a Mediator Variable of Entrepreneurship Orientation to Marketing Performance. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 16(5), ISSN 2319-7668.
31) Keh, H. T., T. T. M. Nguyen, dan H. P. Ng. (2007). The Effects of Entrepreuneurial Orientation and Marketing Information on The Performance of SMEs. Journal of Business Venturing, 22, p592-611.
32) Hassim, A. A., A. Nizam, A. Talib, dan A. R. A. Bakar. (2011). The Effects of Entre- preneurial Orientation on Firm Organi- sational Innovation and Market Orien- tation Towards Firm Business Perfor mance. International Conference on Socia- lity and Economics Development IAcSIT Press, Singapore: p280-284.
33) Runyan, R., C. Droge, dan J. Swinney. (2008). Entrepreneurial Orientation versus Small Business Orientation: What Are Their Relationship to Firm Perfor- mance?. Journal of Small Business Management, 46(4), p567-588.
34) Elshaer, Ibrahim & Augustyn, Marcjanna. (2016). Direct Effects of Quality Management on Competitive Advantage. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, 33(9).
35) Pardi. (2014). The Effect of Market Orientation and Entrepreneurial Orientation toward Learning Orientation, Innovation, Competitive Advantages and Marketing Performance. European Journal of Business and Management, 6(21).
36) Teeratansirikool, Luliya., Siengthai, Sununta., Badir, Yuosre., & Charoenngam, Chotchai. (2014). Competitive Strategies and Firm Performance: The Mediating Role of Performance Measurement. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 62(2).
37) Al-Alak, B. A. dan S. A. Tarabieh. (2012). Gaining Competitive Adavantage And Organbizational Performance Through Customer Orientation, Innovation Dif- ferentiation and Market Differentiation. International Journal of Economic and Management Science, 1(5), p80-91.
38) Husnah, B. Subroto, S. Aisjah, dan Djumadli. (2013). Competitive Strategy Role in Developing SMEs With RBV Perspec- tive: A literature Review. International Journal of Business and Behavioral Science, 3(3), p48-59.
39) Hair, J.F., Anderson, R.E., Tatham, R.L. dan Black W.C. (2010). Multivariate Data Analysis 4th Edition. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
40) Masango, S. G., & Lassalle, P. (2020). What entrepreneurs do? Entrepreneurial action guided by entrepreneurial opportunities and entrepreneurial learning in early internationalising firms. International Marketing Review.
41) Nurlina, N., & Darsono, N. (2017). The role of competitive advantage in mediating the effect of entrepreneurial orientation and knowledge management toward business performance. Proceedings of AICS-Social Sciences, 7, 394-405.
42) Rauch, A., Wiklund, J., Lumpkin, G..T. and Frese, M. (2009). Entrepreneurial orientation and business performance: An assessment of past research and suggestion for the future, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 33(3), p761-781.
43) Zhao, Y., Li, Y., Lee, S.H. and Chen, L.B. (2011). Entrepreneurial Orientation, Organizational Learning, and Performance: Evidence from China. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 35(2), p293-317.
44) Dani, Ibrahim. (2012). Business Strategy Role as Mediation of Management Capability and Orientation of Entrepreneurship on business Performance (A Studyon Micro and Small Scale Seaweed Business in Takalar District,South Sulawesi Province). Journal of Management Research, 5(1), ISSN 1941-899X.
45) Hoque, A. S. M. M. "Does government support policy moderate the relationship between entrepreneurial orientation and Bangladeshi SME performance? A SEM approach." International Journal of Business Economics and Management Studies 6.3 (2018): 37-59.
46) Hamad, H., Elbeltagi, I., & El‐Gohary, H. (2018). An empirical investigation of business‐to‐business e‐commerce adoption and its impact on SMEs competitive advantage: The case of Egyptian manufacturing SMEs. Strategic Change, 27(3), 209-229.