Influence of Internal Factors on the Financial Performances: An Empirical Study on Nigerian Deposit Money Banks
1Shuaib Adeadebayo Abdulkabir, 2Obafemi Tunde Olutokunbo, 3Olaiya Abiola Lawal 1Ph.D Student), Lincoln University College, Malaysia
2(Ph.D), Department of Accountancy, Federal Polytechnic, Offa, Kwara State, Nigeria
3(Ph.D Student), Lincoln University College, Malaysia
This study examines the influence of internal factors on financial performance in Nigerian deposit money banks by using panel data of banks over the period 2009 to 2019. Since the data is secondary in nature, the quantitative approach to research was considered. Besides, the fixed effect model was used. The fixed effect model is preferred to the random effect model based on the Housman specification test. Under this study, internal and factors were examined. The internal factors used in this study include capital structure; Income Diversification, operating cost and bank size whereas, ROA and ROCE were used as the financial performance measure. Based on the regression result, all bank specific variables except bank size affect performance of the bank significantly but negatively. While based on correlation analysis, Bank size was positively correlated with ROCE. These clearly shows that, as the bank size increases, ROCE also moves on the same direction. On the other hand, the income diversification, capital structure and operating cost were negatively correlated with ROCE. Also, as the income diversification, capital structure and operating cost increases, ROCE moves in opposite direction. Moreover, the capital structure and the operating cost negatively correlated with ROA. This indicates that as capital structure increases, ROA moves to the opposite direction. On the other hand, income diversification and bank size were positively correlated with ROA. Based on the empirical findings, both capital structure and operating cost negatively and significantly affect performance measured by ROA and ROCE.
Internal factors, Financial Performance, Deposit Money Banks, Nigeria.
1. A.M Goyal 2013, 'Impact of Capital Structure on Performance of Listed Public Sector Banks in India', International
Journal of Business and Management Invention, Vo12, Issue 10, pp.35-43.
2. Alexiou ,C and Sofoklis,V 2009, 'Determinants of Bank Profitability', Evidence from Greek Banking industry, Economic Annuals ,volume LIV No.182
3. Alkhatib, A 2012, 'Financial Performance of Palestinian Commercial Banks', International Journal of Business and Social Science, Vol. 3 No.3
4. Amdemikacl, A 2012, 'Factors Affecting Profitability of Ethiopian Banking Industry', Msc Thesis, Addis Ababa University
5. Anna P.L, V and Hoi Si, Ch 2008, 'Determinants of Bank Profitability in Macao', Faculty of Business Administration, University of Macau.
6. Athanasoglou, P, Brissimis, S and Delis ,M, 2006, 'Bank-specific, Industry-specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability', Bank of Greece Working Paper, Greece.
7. Belayneh, H 2011, ' Determinants of Commercial Banks profitability of Ethiopian Commercial banks', Msc thesis, School of Business and Public Administration, Ababa University.
8. Ben, S, 2003, 'The Determinants of the Tunisian Banking Industry Profitability: Panel Evidence'
9. Birhanu,Ts 2012, 'Determinants of Commercial Banks Profitability of Commercial Banks in Ethiopia', Msc thesis, Addis Ababa University.
10. Brooks, Ch 2008, 'Introductory Econometrics for Finance', 2nd edition, Cambridge University, New york
11. Dietrich, A and Wanzenried, G 2009, 'What Determines the Profitability of Commercial Banks?' New Evidence from Switzerland.
12. Ebisa, D, 2012, 'The Effect of Post 1991 Era Financial Sector Deregulations in Ethiopia', An Inspirational Guide for Agribusiness, Basic Research Journal of Agricultural science and Review, VoU (4), pp.8l-87
13. Ezra, M 2013, 'Determinants of Commercial Bank Profitability in Sub-Saharan Africa', International Journal of Economics and Finance,vol.5.
14. Fasil, A and Merhatbeb,T 2009, 'Law of Banking , Negotiable Instruments and Insurance.
15. Ghazouani, I and Moussa, S 2013, 'Explanatory Factors of Bank performance', Evidence from Tunisia, International Journal of Economics, Finance and Management, Vo12, No.l
16. Gujarati, D 2004, 'Basic Econometrics', 4thedition, McGrawHill, Boston.
17. Habtamu, N 2012, ' Determinants of Bank Profitability', An Empirical Study on Ethiopian Private Commercial Banks, Msc thesis, School of Business and Public Administration, Addis Ababa university,
18. Hassan, M and M.Bashir, A, 2003,'Determinants of Islamic Banking Profitability', PhD thesis..
19. Kumbirai, M and Webb, R 2010, 'A Financial Ratio Analysis of Commercial Bank Performance in South Africa', African Review of Economics and Finance, vo1.2,No.l.
20. Lamarana, M 2012, 'Financial Performance of the Malaysian Banking Industry' Domestic vs Foreign Banks, Eastern Mediterranean University.
21. Li , Y 2007, 'Determinants of Banks' Profitability and Its Implication on Risk Management Practices', Panel Evidence from the UK, the University of Nottingham.
22. Masood, 0 and Ashraf, M 2012, 'Bank Specific and Macroeconomic Profitability Determinants of Islamic Banks', The Case of Different Countries, Qualitative Research in Financial Markets, Vol.4, No.2/3.
23. Methods', preparatory Modulefor Addis Ababa Graduate programs, Graduate studies.
24. Mohana, K and Tekeste, B 2012, 'Determinants of profitability of Commercial Banks in Developing country', Evidence from Ethiopia, International Journal of Accounting and Finance ,VoI.2, Issue 3.
25. Nimalathasan, B 2009, 'Determinants of key Performance Indicators(KIPS) of Private Sector Banks in Srilanka', An application of Exploratory Factor Analysis, Fascicle of the Faculty of Economics and Public Administration,voI.9.
26. Soumadi, M and Suhail, 0 2011, 'Capital Structure and Corporate Performance', Empirical
27. Study on the Public Jordanian Shareholdings Firms Listed in the Amman Stock Market, European Scientific Journal, Vol 8, No.22.
28. Sufian , F 2011, 'Profitability of The Korean Banking Sector', Panel Evidence on Bank Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants, Journal of Economics and m Management,voI.7,No.l,43-72.
29. Sufian, F and Shah, M 2009, 'Determinants of Bank Profitability in a Developing Economy', Empirical Evidence from Bangladesh, Journal of Business Economics and Management.
30. Taani, K 2013, 'Capital Structure Effects on Banking Performance', A Case Study of Jordan, International Journal of Economics, Finance and Management Sciences, Vol. 1, No. 5, 2013,pp.227-233.
31. Tan, Yand Floros, Ch 2012, 'Bank profitability and Inflation', The case of China, Journal of Economic Studies, vol.39 No.6, pp.675-696.
32. Teaching Material,' Sponsored by the Justice and Legal System Research Institute Weersainghe, V and Ravinda, T 2013, 'Determinants of profitability of Commercial Banks in Srilanka', International Journal of Arts and commerce, vo\.2 NoJO.
33. Wooldridge, J 1999, 'Introductory Econometrics', 2nd edition, Cambridge, MIT press..